MacFixIt reader Ed Lau notes an odd case where the orientation of his third-party display was causing repeated freezes on an Intel-based iMac under Mac OS x 10.4.7.
"I was experiencing reproducible freezes on my 20" Intel iMac soon after installing 10.4.7. After reading your article, I was disappointed to learn that I already had the newer update. My system: Intel Core Duo iMac (20"); Dell 2005FPW widescreen monitor (dual display mode, Dell in portrait orientation).
"On my system, I can consistently reproduce the freeze by doing either one of the following: Start the screen saver; Open System Preferences, go to Desktop and Screen Saver, click on Screen Saver, drag the window from the primary screen to the external screen. Result: Mac will freeze as soon screen saver preview appears on external screen
"Fortunately, I found the culprit! Switching the Dell from portrait to landscape (standard orientation) fixed the problem. It's inconvenient for me, but I'm leaving the Dell in landscape mode as a workaround. I'm awaiting another update from Apple."
MacFixIt reader Maurice reports a similar issue with a Samsung display:
"I also have the same problem with a Samsung 215-TW display. In portrait mode Quartz Composer would stop the system in its tracks; same with Photo booth and Safari would hang on random sites. However, all of my third party apps rand fine including Imagewell, Livequartz, Gimp etc. Only seemed to have the problem with a handful of Apple apps. At the same time everything ran fine on the iMac display. Switched the Samsung to Landscape mode and the problems went away.
"The Samsung was connected during the initial upgrade (early 10.4.7 delta) I have since done both the combo and Mac OS X 10.4.7 update patch. No change."
- AirPort connectivity issues -- fixes
- Bluetooth: Erratic device behavior, loss of connectivity
- Cellular data modems now natively supported
- CS2 apps (Photoshop, etc.) not launching -- potential fix
- Digital camera problems -- not recognized, workaround
- Don't skip update verification process
- Dozens of SMB processes spawned -- fix
- Example of the dangers in continuing work while update is applying
- External drives not recognized -- fixes
- FireWire device recognition issues
- Increased fan activity -- fixes
- Intel re-release: Determining whether you have the old or new version, more
- Internet access problems caused by DNS errors
- iSync issues
- MacBook Pro screen failures with external display connected
- MacBook (13"): Vertical multi-colored lines at startup after Mac OS X 10.4.7 update
- Microsoft Word crashing frequently -- fix
- Palm synchronization issues
- Printing issues -- fixes
- Problems caused by devices connected during update
- Problems starting up after update -- fixes
- Quark Xpress 6.5: Problems with fonts, temporary fix
- Rosetta problems -- potential fix
- Safari: Problems accessing secure sites, crashes, more
- SoundSticks unrecognized -- fix
- Spotlight will be re-enabled after update
- SuperDrive burn issues -- fix
- Third-party displays causing freezes
- Trackpad difficulties -- input not recognized
- Two-finger click functionality now enabled on 15" MacBook Pros, PowerBooks
- USB problems (device recognition, preventing your Mac from sleeping etc.) -- fixes
- Widget "phone home" function actually a security measure
- Windows sharing and processor hogging (system slowdown)