A handful of readers are reporting issues accessing or logging into some sites using the updated version of Safari (2.0.4) included with Mac OS X 10.4.7.
Some users report an increase in "(NSURLErrorDomain:-1005)" errors after the update. This issue can generally be resolved by simply refreshing the page.
Other users are reporting problems logging into some secure sites.
One reader writes:
"After applying the Mac OS X 10.4.7 update, Safari now fails to properly log on to my online banking website. I can use Firefox or Opera with no problem, but Safari results in an incorrect username and password even though both are correct. Worked fine prior to the update."
MacFixIt reader Trevor Hutley adds:
"Since applying the 10.4.7 (Combo) update, which installed Safari 2.0.4, I am not able to log-on to my E*trade account, which I have been doing almost daily for more than 5 years.
"In the midst of entering my username/password, the page redirects to an 'open a new account page.' This problem seems almost insoluble with Safari. With Firefox 1.503, there is no problem at all."
In other cases, this problem can be solved by simply emptying the cache (Safari menu > Empty Cache). In other cases, the solution is to open Safari's preferences, then click on the Security tab, then "Show cookies" and deleting all cookies.
Some users have found success with deleting the file com.apple.Safari.plist from ~/Library/Preferences.
Finally, resetting Safari (via the "Reset Safari" command, accessible under the "Safari" menu) can resolve site access/login issues in some cases. Note that this will delete your browser history, cache, cookies, and other stored data.
- AirPort connectivity issues -- fixes
- Bluetooth: Erratic device behavior, loss of connectivity
- Cellular data modems now natively supported
- CS2 apps (Photoshop, etc.) not launching -- potential fix
- Digital camera problems -- not recognized, workaround
- Don't skip update verification process
- Dozens of SMB processes spawned -- fix
- Example of the dangers in continuing work while update is applying
- External drives not recognized -- fixes
- FireWire device recognition issues
- Increased fan activity -- fixes
- Intel re-release: Determining whether you have the old or new version, more
- Internet access problems caused by DNS errors
- iSync issues
- MacBook Pro screen failures with external display connected
- MacBook (13"): Vertical multi-colored lines at startup after Mac OS X 10.4.7 update
- Microsoft Word crashing frequently -- fix
- Palm synchronization issues
- Printing issues -- fixes
- Problems caused by devices connected during update
- Problems starting up after update -- fixes
- Quark Xpress 6.5: Problems with fonts, temporary fix
- Rosetta problems -- potential fix
- Safari: Problems accessing secure sites, crashes, more
- SoundSticks unrecognized -- fix
- Spotlight will be re-enabled after update
- SuperDrive burn issues -- fix
- Third-party displays causing freezes
- Trackpad difficulties -- input not recognized
- Two-finger click functionality now enabled on 15" MacBook Pros, PowerBooks
- USB problems (device recognition, preventing your Mac from sleeping etc.) -- fixes
- Widget "phone home" function actually a security measure
- Windows sharing and processor hogging (system slowdown)