Some users, after upgrading to Mac OS 10.5.6, may find their administrator account has been changed to a standard account. This can cause issues when you need to install software or perform a task that needs a higher level of permissions. Also, people who buy a used Mac may need to setup a user account but do not have the administrator password.
"My mother owns a macbook and her account is not the Admin account. Its causing problems since a lot of things ask for an Admin account and password. We have tried the fixes using the start up disc, however there are two problems.Possible fixes1) Start up from login isnt working. The computer goes straight to the normal desktop no matter how many tries or variations of holding C I try.
2) Using the fixes that explain clicking the Mac OSX installer and then going to utilities dont work since before even getting to any utilities options, an admin password window pops up."
To reset your administrator password:
1. Place your Mac OS X 10.5 install DVD in your optical drive and start your Mac.Resources
2. From the Utilities menu, choose "Reset Password."
(Note: Do not choose the "Firmware Password Utility.")
3. Follow instructions to reset your root password. Select the name of the drive that the OS is located on; the user named "System Administrator (root)" from the pop-up menu, and enter and confirm your new password. Click Save.
4. Restart your Mac.
5. When the login window appears, select "Other..." to login as the root user. Use the password that you created above.
(Note: If you are automatically logged in at startup, from the menu > Log out (Shift-Command-Q) to get to the login window.)
6. Once logged in as the root user, from System Preferences, Accounts highlight the user that you would like to have administrator access.
7. Check the box to "Allow user to administer this computer".
8. Disable the root user using Directory Utility (Applications, Utilities). Choose Edit, Disable Root User".
(Note: You may have to unlock Directory Utility first by entering your administrator password after clicking the lock icon.)
Read this Apple Support Discussions forum thread regarding the issue above.
Read this Apple KB Article explaining how to reset the administrator password on your Mac.
Experiencing problems? Have feedback? Let us know!Resources