Other purported enhancements in the new version of 1.1.1 version of MobileSafari include:
- Added device-width and device-height constants to the viewport meta tag to replace 320 and 480 screen dimensions respectively.
- Now uses the lang property to select a keyboard to support localization. Deprecated.
- Added debugging console to Safari on iPhone?turn on the console using the Safari > Developer settings.
- Added autocorrect and autocapitalize attributes to control whether or not automatic correction or capitalization are used in forms.
- Added format-detection meta tag to control whether or not Safari on iPhone automatically detects telephone numbers on a webpage.
- Added -webkit-tap-highlight-color CSS property to control the color of callout bubbles.
- The onscroll event is now sent when the user pans the page.
- The window.scrollTo() and window.scrollBy() methods work correctly.
- The window.pageXOffset and window.pageYOffset properties return the correct values as opposed to always returning (0, 0).
- The window.innerWidth and window.innerHeight properties also return the correct values (the size of the visible area).
- Lessened restrictions on granting focus to form elements. Specifically, a page can now focus on an element in response to a user action, such as a tap.
- Significant improvements to viewport meta tag. Changing the meta tag and tapping reload should now update the viewport of the page correctly.
- Added window.console to print to the console (just like in Safari on the desktop).
For more undocumented features in iPhone software/firmware 1.1.1, see our special report.