iPad explodes in Vodafone store, forces customers to evacuate -- report

An iPad demo model at a Vodafone store in Australia reportedly "burst" into flames, but no one in the store was injured.

James Martin/CNET

An iPad that was demoed at a Vodafone store in Australia burst into flames, according to a report.

A Vodafone store in Canberra, Australia was running an iPad demo model that caused a "burst of flames" earlier this week, according to a Vodafone spokesperson, speaking to News.com.au in an interview published on Friday. The iPad forced the store to evacuate customers, but no one was injured, according to the spokesperson.

According to News.com.au, after fire fighters entered the building, they discovered that sparks were coming from the iPad's charging port.

It's not clear what version of the iPad burst into flames.

CNET has contacted Apple and Vodafone for comment on the report. We will update this story when we have more information.

Featured Video
This content is rated TV-MA, and is for viewers 18 years or older. Are you of age?
Sorry, you are not old enough to view this content.

Microsoft leaves Apple in the dust with tablet and laptop innovation in 2015

Will there be one Apple Ring to rule them all? That's what a patent application says. Plus, building the thinnest gadget isn't innovation anymore and Apple just got a reality check from Microsoft.

by Brian Tong