- A sampling of green-tech news with quick commentary.
- Investor support of climate action grows--CBS News
Big polluters feel the, uh, heat from shareholders. Resolutions related to climate change more than doubled over the past five years, according to Ceres.
- Masdar breaks ground on photovoltaic factory in Germany--press release
Abu Dhabi-based fund invests big in solar, diversifying from oil. This is also a major shot in the arm for thin-film solar cells, upping competition with silicon.
- Coskata due diligence--R-Squared Energy Blog
Blogger Robert Rapier gives a hot ethanol start-up a rigorous screening and leaves with some questions. The key on all these cellulosic ethanol companies will be getting costs down at a commercial scale--and the numbers aren't yet in.
- Medis 24-7 Power Pack fuel cell available--Engadget
A fuel cell charger and liquid fuel cartridges for consumer electronics are now available. Here's hoping they recycle used cartridges.
- Back to whale oil--Gristmill
Climate crusader Joseph Romm digs up YouTube videos of presidential candidate John McCain's town meetings where he says that renewable energy can't be counted on for a significant portion of America's needs and that truly clean technologies "don't work."
- Charge your iPod with vodka?--Blast
Don't get too excited, but Horizon Fuel Cells is that liquor cabinet boozes will indeed work (clear alcohol preferred) and that drug-store alcohol is best.
- Summit produces clean-energy agenda--Greentech Media
Sen. Harry Reid of Nevada, one of the conference hosts, says he's taking the recommendations to both party conventions and to the Senate.
- Driven: Shai Agassi's audacious plan to put electric cars on the road--Wired
In-depth profile of the former SAP executive and his current work for Project Better Place, with some fresh details on the technology to enable the battery-swapping business model.
- APC announces next-generation fuel cell product for data centers--press release
Fuel cells for backup power in data centers is a commercially viable application for hydrogen, though less sexy than hydrogen-powered cars.
Mac running slow?
Boost your computer with these five useful tips that will clean up the clutter.