Green news harvest: Doubts on plankton climate fix
Researchers find that seeding ocean with iron to feed plankton and sequester carbon has flaws, while debate continues over land use affects carbon emissions from ethanol.
A sampling of green-tech news with quick commentary.
- Ocean Carbon: Dent In Iron Fertilization Hypothesis Previously Proposed To Address Climate Change - Science Daily
The idea of seeding the ocean with iron to create and sequester CO2 takes a hit in this study which finds that not a lot of carbon reaches the deep sea.
- Don't Single Out Ethanol on Land-Use Changes, Says Trade Group Chief - The New York Times
The EPA's proposal to include when measuring the greenhouse gas emissions of ethanol has the industry and ag-friendly politicians riled up.
- 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid - Jay Leno's Garage
Watch this video to hear Jay Leno and a Ford engineer run through the nifty efficiency technologies in , including a different kind of internal combustion engine.
- Optiwind Accelerating Wind Turbine Taps New Energy Fields - Inhabitat
Wind machine uses six turbines and a funnel to accelerate wind for midsize applications like schools and farms.
- Wave power device the 'anaconda' will be generating energy within five years - The Telegraph
A snake-like generator could supply 50,000 U.K. homes, but is years behind .
- Ford, Magna Can Look to Startups for Electric Focus Roadmap - Earth2Tech
Auto supplier Magna is struggling and may have trouble providing the goods for Ford's .
- Crap Happens: A Grist Special Report on How We Dispose of Our Poop - Grist
All you wanted to know but were afraid to ask on using human waste for energy.