Imagine being allergic to every single gadget on these pages.
According to this article in the Daily Mail, that nightmare is a reality for 39-year-old Briton Debbie Bird.
Bird says she experiences a severe allergic reaction when exposed to electromagnetic fields (EMF). That means no cell phones, no microwave ovens, no computers, and even no cars in some cases. Bird is also sensitive to public Wi-Fi hotspots, which limits her possibilities for social outings.
Bird has experienced symptoms such as headaches, skin rashes, a burning sensation, and swollen eyelids when exposed to the electromagnetic fields created by today's technology.
The one piece of modern technology in Bird's electromagnetic-proof home? A plasma TV, which purportedly emits fewer gamma rays than older style sets.