The iPhone Dev Team, which has been at the forefront of every jailbreak and unlock procedure for each new iPhone model and OS iteration, is apparently very close to the elusive unlock for the iPhone 3G. A recent post to the team's blog states that the following tasks have now been accomplished:
- Unsigned code execution on 3G baseband
- Reverting 01.45 baseband to previous versions
- Patching of static text (the AT&V demo)
- Injection of AT routines (the task list demo)
- Injection of background tasks (this demo)
The team also warns against updating to the forthcoming iPhone OS 2.2, stating "Installing ?2.2? straight away on the iPhone 3G using the iTunes auto-updater could affect your chances of any software unlock in the near future (should one be found and released), so when you see an update in iTunes await our instructions first!"