Ubisoft is doing away with paper manuals, which means gaming n00bs will be forever stuck in virtual corners trying to figure out the right button combination for re-load. Also, Apple wants its secret iPhone back and Molly just wants you to know that next time you find a top-secret prototype in a bar, you should call her instead of Gizmodo. Oh, and if you want porn, buy an Android phone, says Steve Jobs. Good day for Android.
Subscribe with iTunes (audio)
Subscribe with iTunes (video)
Subscribe with RSS (audio)
Subscribe with RSS (video)
A Letter: Apple Wants Its Secret iPhone Back
How Apple Lost the Next iPhone
How Much Gizmodo Paid for the Next iPhone: $5K Plus Bonus
Steve Jobs Reiterates: "Folks who want porn can buy an Android phone"
Google Slammed by Privacy Authorities in 10 countries Over Buzz
Google password system attacked
Digital Photocopiers Loaded With Secrets
Adobe says no delays to Flash 10.1, CEO was just talking hardware
Sprint Confirms Radio Shack Phasing Out Palm Pre, Pixi Sales (Updated)
Ubisoft ridding its Xbox, PS3 titles of manuals
Windows Phone 7 leak tips mandatory Live ID, limited OEM customization, more
Mac & the iPad, History Repeats Itself
And the state with the fastest broadband is … Delaware
Chris in California has an idea for 3d to 2D
Greg from New Orleans looking for the scoops
Hey Buzz crew,
Last week I wrote because I used to work in the video game industry. This week I’m writing because I used to work in the music industry. I used to work at Musictoday, which among other things, sells tickets online. I think I can shed some light on why Ticketmaster can gouge people, and what Apple’s business model might be for selling tickets. Ticketmaster’s deal is with venues. Most of those venues are owned by ClearChannel. Ticketmaster’s deal is they get to sell up to 80% of the tickets for any given show at the venues for which they have a contract. The other 20% can be sold by the artist/performer. So other companies can strike a deal with individual artists to sell the remaining 20% for them. It seems to me that Apple wants to offer that service to artists, saying, “Sey we’ll sell your tickets on iTunes for you, you don’t have to do anything and we’ll pay you X amount per ticket sold”. Once they get established in the market, they might have enough leverage to legally challenge Ticketmaster’s contract. Then again I believe Ticketmaster only has 80% of the market so they cannot be considered monopolizing the market.
Hope that helps!
Doug from Virginia
Hi Buzz Crew,
Regarding the topic of soul auctioning on eBay (ep 1208), I think we would be better off talking about the trade of “soul options” rather than just "souls". Think about it : you can not actually sell your soul to somebody (as in, remove it from your body and transfer it to the buyer), but you can sell an option on that soul that the seller can leverage when, you know, you kick the bucket.
I don’t picture “soul options” being traded on eBay though... But on the stock market ? It makes perfect sense ! Wall Street is already filled with evil overly complex financial products no ordinary people can even begin to comprehend. I don’t think anybody would even notice.
Love the show (and you, Molly. Your hair has been looking gorgeous lately on the Buzz Report, and I’m talking Brian Tong-grade hair). Really bummed (BUMMED) that Tom is leaving.
PS : sorry if my English is weird, I’m french actually.
PPS: I miss mailbag !
Hello Buzz crew
As I recall, shortly after the iPhone came out, it cause universities
and other institutions many problems due to the way they implemented
their protocol stack and could crash the school network. And now they
are doing it again with the iPad. Come on apple, you have almost $40
billion in the bank. Can’t you hire someone that can implement IP
correctly like every other company on the plant does?