Asus gets the Memo
Asus announces the Eee Pad Memo, a smartphone/tablet hybrid that Asus calls "the perfect blend" of the two.
With the ever-growing popularity of tablets and smartphones, more and more manufacturers are attempting to combine the best features of both types of devices. Not to be left out in the cold, dark, dank world of tablet/smartphone obscurity, on Tuesday Asus announced the Eee Pad Memo.
The Memo includes a 7-inch IPS (in-plane switching) multitouch screen and a separate media phone extender. The device can be used as a phone and includes SMS text messaging.
The tablet/smartphone hybrid comes with with a stylus and includes the Media Note text application and Painter.
Media Note allows users to draw, make handwritten notes, as well as insert external media into said notes, like images, video, and Web links.
Painter allows users to paint on the screen using using the stylus, you know, for those of you so inclined to do so.
- OS: Android 3.0 (Honey Comb)
- CPU: Qualcomm 8250-1.2GHz
- Connectivity: Bluetooth 2.1+EDR, WLAN 802.11b/g/n, USB 2.0
- Display: 7-inch WSVGA IPS screen with 1,024x600-pixel resolution and capacitive touch
- Camera: Front: 1.2-megapixel; Rear: 5-megapixel with flash LED
- Slots: microSD, HDMI Type D, Micro-USB
- Video: 1080p playback at 30fps
- Unit measurements: 198.5 x 116.8 x 11.5 mm, 0.85 pound
The Eee Pad MeMO is set to launch this year over quarters 2 and 3, at a price range of $499 to $699. More details to come.