Apple's Galaxy S III ban bid put on hold
A U.S. District Court judge says Apple can file an injunction request against Samsung's handset, but it won't be able to argue its case at a June 21 hearing.
Apple's bid to ban the sale of the Samsung Galaxy S III in the U.S. has been put on ice.
U.S. District Court judge Lucy Koh decided (PDF) this week that Apple cannot argue its case for a ban on the flagship handset at a previously scheduled June 21 hearing. Instead, Apple is required to file a motion for the ban that includes a request for a hearing date held sometime after June 21.
The issue, according to Koh, is that there are already quite a few issues to consider at the June 21 hearing. And to add another to the mix might be just too much for the court to consider. It also appears that neither Apple nor Samsung wanted to take that on. Koh said Apple and Samsung last week filed a proposal requesting they engage in "additional discovery and briefing regarding the Samsung Galaxy S III at some later, unspecified time."
. At that time, the company had hoped to have it included in the June 21 hearing. The next day, Samsung filed its own motion with the court, saying that Apple's request came "too late to add new products to the pending motion for a preliminary injunction." After that, Koh claims, both parties came up with the idea to move it back.
Koh has made it clear in the past that she has no desire to be "an Apple v. Samsung judge," and pointed out to both parties that she has other cases on her docket. Both Apple and Samsung have turned lawsuits into sport, hurling them at each other at every chance they get. And it's not just the U.S. -- the companies are battling it out around the world.
CNET has contacted both Apple and Samsung for comment on the court's order. We will update this story when we have more information.
(Via The Verge)