Apple has released the much anticipated OS X 10.6.4 update. This update addresses a number of specific issues with the OS, including compatibility with Adobe CS3, SMB networking, VPN connections, and trackpad issues on MacBook systems.
Specifically, the update addresses these following issues:
- resolve an issue that causes the keyboard or trackpad to become unresponsive
- resolve an issue that may prevent some Adobe Creative Suite 3 applications from opening
- address issues copying, renaming, or deleting files on SMB file servers
- improve reliability of VPN connections
- resolve a playback issue in DVD Player when using Good Quality deinterlacing
- resolve an issue editing photos with iPhoto or Aperture in full screen view
- improve compatibility with some braille displays
The update is about 315MB in size (for those updating from OS 10.6.3) and should be available through Software Update as well as a standalone installer from the Apple support website (download pages are not available yet).
For more information on the update, check out the following two knowledgebase articles:
As with all software updates, especially OS updates, be sure to fully back up your system beforehand and prepare for the update to reduce the probability of errors. We have, so be sure to read it and make sure your system is ready before updating.