You know what's great about zombies? Duh: everything. Lurching, moaning hordes of the undead existing solely to gorge on human flesh and brains--talk about your party monsters!
Whether you love zombies like I do, or just love to mow 'em down, there's an iPhone game for you. First up, a highly celebrated newcomer:
- Call of Duty: World at War: Zombies The iPhone's first official CoD game is all about zombie-whompin'! This first-person gore-fest comes straight from the eponymous console game mode, and even supports up to four co-op players via Wi-Fi or the Internet. There's only one map to start, but Activision promises to release more. Price: $9.99.
- Alive 4-ever Like a little role-playing mixed in with your machine-gunning? Check out Alive 4-ever ($2.99), which gives you a choice of four characters to play and the chance to increase you capabilities by gaining experience. Jason Parker has more details in his Alive 4-ever review.
- Dead Panic Think: Tower Defense meets "Dawn of the Dead." Position your soldiers, then point them wherever the omnidirectional zombie onslaught draws nearest. Dead Panic ($1.99) can be dull and repetitive, at least until the upgrades kick in, but it should satisfy a little bloodlust.
- Resident Evil Degeneration and Resident Evil 4 Nobody, but nobody, does zombies like Resident Evil does zombies. Priced at $4.99 and $6.99, these two games let you slug it out on rails or in a free-roaming graveyard, respectively. Check out the free Lite versions if you want a taste of the brains--er, games--before you buy.
- Zombieville USA If you like your zombie-whompin' bloody, cartoonish, and downright silly--and, let's be honest, who doesn't?--this is the game for you. Blast the hordes, buy bigger, badder weapons, and see how long you can survive. It's $1.99 very well spent.
OK, it's your turn: What zombie gems did I miss? Hit the comments and discuss your favorite hordes-of-the-undead iPhone games.