2,206 high-power LEDs at your service
SIM2 Multimedia and Dolby Laboratories unveil what they refer to as "the latest in high-dynamic-range-enabled LCD flat-screen display technology featuring Dolby Vision."
Tired of hearing about unaffordable displays that are light years beyond what you have in front of you right now? Yeah, well so am I. Doesn't mean I'll stop reporting on them though, 'cause misery loves company.
At the 2009 Integrated Systems Europe in Amsterdam, SIM2 Multimedia and Dolby Laboratories unveiled what they refer to as "the latest in high-dynamic-range (HDR)-enabled LCD flat-screen display technology featuring Dolby Vision." Called the SIM2 Solar Series, the new displays will be available in the second quarter of this year.
SIM2's Solar Series is a 47-inch LCD display utilizing Dolby Vision technology. According to SIM2, Dolby Vision features a proprietary algorithm that manages LEDs behind the liquid crystal panel.
Each LED is controlled individually in concert with the image on display. By selectively turning off the backlight behind black areas in scenes, Dolby Vision says those areas become truly black. Dolby Vision also has the ability to selectively brighten the backlight behind bright areas.
SIM2 worked in collaboration with Dolby for reference design and prototype development while simultaneously designing the production models from the ground up.
The Solar Series display is able to handle 16-bit processing for HDR signals, producing 65,536 shades per color.
Here are a few specs to whet your appetite. SIM2 has not announced pricing for the display, so who knows? It could be something you can pick up at Best Buy. Judging by the following specs though, I kinda doubt it.
- Display: LCD panel and power LED BLU (2,206 high-power LEDs), plus HDR technology
- Peak brightness: 4,000 candelas per square meter
- Resolution: 1920x1080 full HD
- Contrast ratio (full on/full off): infinite (over 1000000:1)
- Full 16-bit processing (65,536 shades per color) and widest range of displayable colors
- Luminance uniformity: more than 95 percent through the LCD panel
- White point: adjustable
- Professional inputs, including HD-SDI
- Silicon: Xilinx Virtex field programmable gate array (FPGA) chipsets