Pros small, easy to install and configure. all the features i was looking for are present.
Cons takes one minute to reboot
Pros 1. Flexible
2. Great software
3. Great community
Cons 1. Not Windows-based, which in many ways is a pro but also mean you can't install a lot of the software you might want to
Summary I completely disagree with the two negative reviews; I've been repeatedly impressed with the software.
Many times I've bought great hardware only to be let down down by the software. This is an exception.
If you want a server that can do anything then get a fully-fledged server. This is an NAS device that has a great deal of bonus functionality.
Also if you have an Android phone (or iPhone) then there are free apps that make it very easy to access your photos and music over the internet.
Overall this suits me very well and I'm far happier to leave this running 24/7 than I would be with a fully-fledged server.
Pros The good part of this product is its speed and its ability to sustain network connectivity.
Cons The firmware is not user friendly, even for users with good networking skills. This product claims to have bundle of features, which are all under developed in regard to their software usability and flexibility. So its not worth the money.
Summary They are tons and tons of issues listed in the support forums of Synology regarding indexing of files, settings related to its applications like photo station, file station, web station and almost all the applications this product has. I have also personally experienced issues with Indexing and using this as a media server. Installing a 3rd party application is a challenge.
This product is meant only for office use where it can only share and store files over the network. But I would still not recommend it as for the price asked there are much better options available.
I would recommend purchasing a good non server class machine with an intel i5 or similar processor with a RAID backplane for HDD and use this for network storage, which would be worthy option.
Conclusion is that this product is a good effort by Synology but is definitely not a worthy its price. I do repent purchasing this product and hence I give it just one star.
Pros 1. Very Fast
2. Never Drops
3. Easy of handling the HDD
Cons 1. Very bad software design.
2. Inbuilt applications like Photostation does not deliver to what they claim to in the web site.
3. See details of my review to know more.
Summary 1. Very bad software design.I strongly disagree with the review given by CNET on DS710+. It may be the fastest NAS in the market but its clumsy software design and lack of even the basic functionalities in its default applications, makes this NAS an EXPENSIVE USELESS TOY.
2. No help documents for its inbuilt applications.
3. Inbuilt applications like Photostation does not deliver to what they claim to in the web site.
4. Very difficult to install a 3rd party software (Since the default software offers not even the basic of the functions)
5. Time required to revive out of Hibernation is high.
6. All these and more does NOT make this product a value for money, specially when this is one of the most expensive NAS
This feedback that i gave to the product development team that develops software for the DS 710+ NAS.
I am not at all satisfied with the quality and flexibility of software given with this NAS. It should be know that this is the most expensive NAS in the market and that I have not paid SGD1000 so that I have to struggle my way just to have a photo album of my own on the net.
Example of the poorly developed software is the Photo Station 4. The following is enough to make anyone mad:
1. You cannot change the nested albums thumbnail.
2. Indexing with this NAS is a huge problem, Firstly we never come to know weather is indexing of the files is complete or not, as if you see in the logs it only logs the event of when the indexing was started, but does not give any info of when it ended and was it successful.
3. Worst of all in the photo station 4 I cannot define individually the download privilege of a user, that means I cannot have only one user to have download access, its either all will have download access or none will have. (The person who designed this should be fired at once)
4. The system hibernation is not controllable, only the HDD hibernation is.
I have found all the above shortcomings in just a week of my purchasing this NAS. I have started repenting buying such an expensive product which does not deliver up to its demanded cost.
Definitely I will never recommend this product to anyone even if its cost goes down from SGD1000 (which I paid) to SGD500
You all have truly disappointed me.
Updated on Aug 2, 2010