How to mirror an Android device on your TV
At long last, Google has enabled screen mirroring on select Android devices. Here's what you need to know.
Mirroring your Android device's display on your TV can be useful when you're giving a demonstration, showing off photos from a recent trip, or playing a game. But until now, it was not easily accomplished with an Android device out of the box.
Thankfully, Google has just made mirroring on Android via Chromecast an official feature. The announcement was first made at Google I/O in June, and is now a reality. As is often the case with Google and new features, mirroring is naturally in beta and only supported by a shortlist of devices. Currently, the list includes older and newer devices, with an odd omission of HTC's One (M8). Here's the full list:
- Nexus 4
- Nexus 5
- Nexus 7 (2013)
- Nexus 10
- Samsung Galaxy S4
- Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Play Edition
- Samsung Galaxy S5
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3
- Samsung Galaxy Note 10
- HTC One M7
- HTC One M7 Google Play Edition
- LG G3
- LG G2
- LG G Pro 2
Google has also promised support for more devices in the future.
So how does one go about casting the screen of an Android device to a television? It's quite simple, actually.
- Make sure your Android device is on the above list.
- Download version 1.7 of the Chromecast app from the Play Store. The update is said to start rolling out in the coming days.
- Ensure you're connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your Chromecast.
- Launch the Chromecast app if you have the updated version, slide out the menu from the left edge of the screen and select the option to "Cast Screen." Select the Chromecast you'd like to use, and then watch as your screen magically appears on your TV.
Alternatively, Nexus owners will find a new Cast Screen option in stock Android's Quick Settings menu. If it's not showing up for you yet, you can access it via Android Settings > Display > Cast Screen. The updated Chromecast app is not required for Nexus owners to start mirroring.
Once you begin casting -- or mirroring -- your screen, an alert will appear in your notification shade, making it possible to stop mirroring with a tap.
With an update to the Chromecast app required, keep an eye on the Play Store.