How to set up Google Latitude on Android
Whether you want to check in to local places, or you just want to see where friends are, try Latitude.
Google Latitude (used with Google Maps) offers another way to keep in touch with friends and family. By sharing locations people can see when it would be easy to grab a quick cup of a coffee together, or when there just isn't time to meet up. Follow these steps to learn how to activate and set up Google Latitude according to your preferences.
1. Open the Google Maps app on your phone or tablet.
2. Press the Menu button and select Join Latitude. If this option doesn't appear, choose More, and then Labs. You will find the Latitude option here.
3. Contacts in your phone that have Latitude enabled will populate Latitude's Suggested Friends area. If none appear, simply press the Add button up top (shown in the picture below) to search for friends in your contacts or by e-mail address.
4. Adjust your location (manually or automatically) and check-in style through the larger button near the top as shown below.
5. When going out to your first Google Place, you can "Check in," similar to Foursquare or Gowalla. To do this, press the check mark near the top right corner.
6. There are additional settings that can be adjusted for each person you add to Latitude. Just select your friend's name and you'll get options to adjust update times or the location you share, send the person a notification, or remove the person from Latitude.