Please keep in mind that this post is based off of a beta version of iOS 5. Apple can (and often does) change the behavior of features before the latest OS hits consumers hands. If anything drastically changes in regards to this feature in iOS 5, we will be sure to update the post.
When Apple announced a new Notification Center with iOS 5, it also revealed that iOS 5 would come with a couple of widgets: weather and stocks. The widgets are active in the Notification Center, the same place you will find the rest of your app alerts on iOS 5.
iOS 5 allows users to set custom vibration alerts in iOS 5 for individual contacts. There is a trick to enabling the feature, however.
- Go to go to Settings > General > Accessibility on your iPhone.
- Scroll down to the Hearing section and turn on Custom Vibrations. Press the Home button and open the Contacts app.
- Next open up a contact card for a contact that you would like to set a custom vibration alert for. Tap on Edit to bring up more some options.
- Below the Ringtone option you should now see Vibration. Tap on it.
- Here you can create your own alerts as well as choose an alert for your contact.
Creating a custom vibration alert is a great way to know who is calling you without having to look at your iPhone.
Watch the video for a full walk through of how to enable and use this great new feature in iOS 5.