How to program a 30-second skip button for Comcast DVRs
Unlike TiVo, Comcast DVR cable remotes do not feature a 30-second skip button, but it's easy to program a button to skip past commercials.
My Comcast DVR died last week, so down I went to my local Comcast office to exchange it for a new box. Although I lost weeks' worth of Modern Family (which, inexplicably, isn't offered On Demand), my DVR's death came at a good time because Comcast recently received a new fleet of cable boxes and sent me home with the Motorola RGN200N.
Years ago, I had programmed a 30-second skip button for my old Comcast DVR on my old silver remote. It was a simple process:
1. Press the Cable button at the top of the remote
2. Press and hold the Setup button until the Cable button blinks twice
3. Type in code 994 (the Cable button will blink twice again)
4. Press (but do not hold) the Setup button
5. Type in code 00173
6. Press whichever button you want to be your 30-second skip button (the Cable button will blink twice). I used the A lock button, which is right below the 15-second back button.
Unfortunately, the above process did nothing for my new Motorola RGN200N cable box and the new dark gray Comcast remote. After visiting various AV forums and through a little trial and error, I found a way to program a 30-second remote with my new equipment. It's similar to the above process, but with the added step of switching to Aux mode briefly.
Follow these steps:
1. Press the Aux button
2. Press and hold the Setup button until the Aux button blinks twice
3. Type in code 01376 (the Aux button will blink twice)
4. Press the Aux button again
5. Press and hold the Setup button again until the Aux button blinks twice
6. Type in code 994 (the Aux button will blink twice)
7. Press (but do not hold) the Setup button
8. Type in code 00173
9. Press the Cable button
10. Press whichever button you want to be your 30-second skip button (the Cable button will blink twice). I used the A lock button again.
Now, you'll have have a 30-second skip button while in Cable mode on your remote and can skip commercials and 30-second timeouts during the Final Four games this weekend with the press of a button. One last note: If you previously programmed the Aux button for your receiver or another component, you'll need to reprogram it after setting up the 30-second skip button.