How to disable all Facebook apps
Learn how to cut the cord to Facebook apps altogether, giving you more privacy, especially when browsing the Web.
Whether you're tired of seeing updates from games, or you want to discontinue Facebook sign-in for other apps, this guide is for you. However, disabling all apps on Facebook comes with a few caveats. For instance, if you use Foursquare to post the places you check in to on your Timeline, you won't be able to anymore. And if you use Facebook to log in to services like Spotify, you'll no longer be able to do that either. Furthermore, this will also disable access to games on Facebook, like Candy Crush or Clash of Clans.
If this still sounds like the solution you're looking for, disconnecting from the apps platform on Facebook is pretty simple. Here's how:
Note:You'll need to log in to your Facebook account through a Web browser to complete these steps.
Step 1: Click on the menu in the top right-hand corner and select Settings.
Step 2: Choose Apps from the menu on the left-hand side, then under Apps, Websites and Plugins, click the Edit button.
Step 3: Verify that you want to disconnect from all apps on Facebook by clicking the Disable Platform button.
Facebook warns (as seen in the image above) that turning off this platform results in the following:
- You will not be able to log in to websites or applications using Facebook.
- Your friends won't be able to interact and share with you using apps and websites.
- Instant personalization will also be turned off.
- Apps you've previously installed may still have info you shared. Please contact these apps for details on removing this data.
- Apps you've logged into (with Facebook or Anonymously) will be removed.
- Posts by apps will be removed from your profile.
Now you will be free of annoying apps, while also keeping your information safe from Web sites that attempt to collect it while you're logged into Facebook.
Editors' note, February 27, 2015: This How To post was originally published on December 14, 2012, and has been updated to include new information.