Apple has made its iTunes Pass feature available in select countries, including the US and Australia.
By adding an iTunes Pass to the Passbook app on your iPhone, you can quickly add money to your iTunes account without having to jump through hoops. Previously you would have to purchase a gift card, scan or enter it using your iPhone, then trash the gift card. There was nothing truly wrong with the process other than the excess waste of the gift cards (and we all know how much Apple likes to be green).
So how do you add an iTunes Pass to your phone?
- Launch the App Store on your iPhone and scroll to the bottom of the Featured section where a you'll tap on the Redeem button.
- Enter your Apple ID password when prompted.
- On the next screen, tap on the Passbook icon located at the bottom of the screen.
- You will then see a screen offering a brief explanation of iTunes Pass, and provide you with a link to add the pass to your iPhone; tap on it.
- Verify the correct Apple ID is displayed and then tap on "Add" in the top-right corner.
The next time you walk into an Apple store you can pull up this card, find an employee and ask for money to be added to your account. The employee will use their device to scan the barcode, and after accepting payment, the money will automagically appear in your iTunes account.