There are many ways to get started when you fire up your computer, but the Chrome browser makes it easy to stick with one. Most of us use a browser for daily business anyway, and the default Chrome new tab page gives quite a few options for launching useful pages and apps. ANTP (short for Awesome New Tab Page) is a Chrome extension offering a Windows 8-style launch page that is lovely and handy. Here's how to use it:
- Install the ANTP extension here.
- Open a new tab in Chrome. It's fruitful to check out the tour in the upper left of the screen, but I'll cover the basics in this post.
- Click the gear icon in the upper-left sidebar to open the configuration screen. This mostly just lets you change the appearance of ANTP, but also lets you choose your country for the default Amazon shortcut and reset all prior changes.
- The 3x3 icon in the upper left lets you select your installed Chrome apps to add to ANTP. This is fairly straightforward, but remember that most Google apps are already incorporated into the Google tile.
- The Widgets icon lets you add widgets to the page, but they have to be made expressly for ANTP. There are quite a few already set up, and it's easy to pick them up by clicking this icon and then clicking on "Get More Widgets."
- The Unlock icon at the bottom of the list lets you rearrange and delete tiles from your page.
There are plenty of ways to make the new tab page your own, so make sure to explore. Here are some other ways to make the most of your new tab page:
- How to use Chrome's latest 'new tab' page
- Customize and enhance Chrome's start tab
- Firefox finally enriches New Tab page
Thanks to MakeUseOf for the tip!