One of the reasons users jailbreak their iOS device is the ability to add custom settings shortcuts directly to their home screen, or, with iOS 5, the notification tray.
If you are hesitant to jailbreak, or only jailbreak for this reason, there is good news. A developer has figured out how to use a bookmark on the home screen of your iOS device that takes you directly to various settings screens with one tap. Your device must be on iOS 5 in order for this to work.
If you are familiar with adding Web shortcuts to your home screen, you are already a pro at creating these shortcuts. If not, don't worry, it's supereasy.
- On your iOS device, visit http://iphoneza.co.za/IconSettings/
- Scroll down to the list of the various settings you can use this workaround for.
- Tap on the link for the setting you would like to create a shortcut to. A new tab/window will be opened in Mobile Safari. When you are presented with the dialog to open the link in Settings, tap on Cancel.
- Tap on the button located in the middle of the toolbar located at the bottom of the screen. Select Add to Home Screen.
- Let the icon image for the shortcut load before you add it to your home screen.
- A new icon will be saved to your home screen. You can add it to a folder, or move it around like you would any other icon on your iOS device.
- Tapping on the icon will directly open the corresponding Settings screen.
Originally this solution only worked if the device had an active data connection when the shortcut was used. After some additional work, it will work on any iOS device running iOS 5, with or without a data connection.
In total there are 40 different settings shortcuts you can create through this method. To create additional shortcuts, simply visit the original site and repeat the steps after selecting a new shortcut.