Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Zune or Ipod?

by 0987654321qwert / July 16, 2009 9:28 AM PDT

I currently have a bit of a problem, my 80gb Ipod broke. The apple store employee said that since it was hard-drive based, and contains moving parts, it must have got bumped around and is pretty much shot. He also said that it would cost about 150 dollars to fix. Frankly I do not wish to spend that much on a repair. I would rather buy a new player. He also said that they would give me 10% off of my next purchase and suggested a flash-drive based mp3 player, like the itouch. I like to have my videos and music in one place, so I want a decent amount of memory,and something bigger than the itouch. I am a little wary about buying another Ipod because I have had 3 break on me, 2 out of warranty. After I looked around, I came across the Zune. In your opinion which do you think is less likely to break a Zune, or an ipod classsic? Any answer will be greatly apreaciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Zune or Ipod?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Zune or Ipod?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Time to keep longer warranties.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 16, 2009 10:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Zune or Ipod?
Collapse -
Sound Quality or storage?
by JeepMysteryProb / July 16, 2009 1:42 PM PDT

If you are interested in sound quality then try a Zune. If space is what you crave, Zune has a model with 120 Gb storage. As for protecting the player, you should really get a case with modest protection for your player.

Collapse -
I perfer ipod
by Emma0522 / July 16, 2009 7:01 PM PDT

I like iPod, if I were you, I will choose ipod.

Collapse -
For new, I'd go Zune
by make_or_break / July 19, 2009 2:59 PM PDT

Hard drives going bad will happen to any MP3 player, regardless of whether it's from Apple or Microsoft. And you don't even have to drop or bump the thing for it to happen.

Buying new, I'd pick the Zune only because it sounds noticeably better than the Classic, which is one aspect that's quite important to me to get out of any device; the music itself MATTERS. But in your case, the Zune also has a larger screen for your vids...as long as those vids are compatible with the Zune's available formats. You'll probably get better battery charge life from an iPod Classic, and you'll definitely have more options with accessories and connectivity to 3rd-party devices. But the Zune's actual output quality is simply more impressive to me.

Still, sending your old iPod to have its HD replaced like Mr. Proffitt suggests is probably the cheapest option...and the one I'd probably do anyways since I hate wasting an otherwise good machine. My old 80GB 5.5G isn't the best-sounding, but it's been a workhorse ever since I started using it as a music source in my car several weeks back. But if I just had to treat myself to a new device with a sizable HD, I'd pick MSFT and its Zune.

Collapse -
Zune HD
by triplearockstar / July 20, 2009 6:52 AM PDT

Zune HD will be Zune's new touchscreen. Hopefully It will be competitive with iPod and sounds better than an old iPod classic.

A friend of mine has a 120 Zune and in my opinion it beats the iPod with it's style and format. Plus MS frequently issues firmware updates, unlike Apple.

Also, consider a Sony touchscreen like the X-series walkman or something similar. The Memorex Touch is a nice mp3 under 100.

<b>Zune and iPod aren't your only choices :)</b>

<i>Hey can you help em out with my cell phone question: http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7817_102-0.html?threadID=350687&tag=forums06;forum-threads?</i>

Collapse -
Zune won the cnet matchup
by QuadFather / July 30, 2009 4:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Zune HD

The Zune actually beat the iPod Classic in a fairly recent cnet matchup. Should be easy to find (sorry, don't have the reference at the moment).

Collapse -
Zune of Ipod?
by kingjerky / August 12, 2009 3:52 AM PDT

I vote for the Zune because.

1. Sound quality is great

2. My Zune 30GB is a Tank

3. The Zune software is easy to work with

(but if I was you I would wait for the Zune HD)

Collapse -
Thanks
by 0987654321qwert / August 12, 2009 3:29 PM PDT

Thanks for the advice everyone I decided to go with the zune and I love it. I would recommend it to anyone looking for anew mp3 player

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.