Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

ZoneAlarm vs Comodo vs Kaspersky Which One is best??

by JPlante925 / January 7, 2012 2:52 AM PST

Kaspersky PURE Total Security

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ZoneAlarm vs Comodo vs Kaspersky Which One is best??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ZoneAlarm vs Comodo vs Kaspersky Which One is best??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 7, 2012 4:15 AM PST

I've yet to find a firewall that was not "perfect." That is, if I told it to block inbound port 80, all did that fine. So for the firewall, all seem perfect.

As to the goof AV there is somewhat of a problem there. All are extremely good but the only goof I now of is when the users think that "I can click on that because my AV or Firewall will protect me."

Nothing could be further from the truth. And what is that truth?

We are the best protection.

Collapse -
I will start a fire storm
by TWB404 / January 8, 2012 12:26 AM PST

I will start a fire storm by stating that Internet Suites are just a scam pulled on the innocent internet user who does not understand how they work and trust the companies who sale them. They all take over control of your puter and that allows them to decide what program gets into and out of it. They do have a form of manual control but they will make it so miserable for you that you will beg to turn control back over to them. My favorite way of describing it is if you had a home security system, would you allow the company who sold it to you decide for you who gets into and out of your house? I wouldn't. The best way to protect yourself is to have a good AV and a good Firewall. The sad thing about that statement is that since ZoneAlarm sold out and went the path of making the decision for you, there is no such thing as a good Firewall anymore. If you want to have some fun while your trying to decide what to use, email the companies and ask them how many programs do they have on their white list. You only need somewhere between 5 to 8 and that is it. SVChost by MS for internet connection, your browsers, chat programs, AV updates and MS updates. That is it. I think the most surprising thing about Comodo is that they brag about having 15,000,000 programs in their white list. Yes, you read that right, 15,000,000 programs they have deemed to be safe. WOW Ask yourself how that many got on the white list.

Collapse -
by JPlante925 / January 13, 2012 3:45 AM PST

thanks for the well answers i guess i know that i am my best defense blah blah but i just need the best firewall period i dont care about money i need it haha can you guys pick one for me so i dont have to?

Collapse -
Re: firewall
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 13, 2012 4:02 AM PST
In reply to: hahah

Did you read what Bob wrote? He said all are good. That's nice, because you can't do wrong.

Collapse -
The programs you listed are more then just a Firewall
by TWB404 / January 14, 2012 6:34 AM PST
In reply to: hahah

You ask someone to pick a firewall but the 3 programs you listed are internet suites. They are a combination of a firewall, anti virus and probably more whistle and bells then you need.

Firewall = A computer firewall is a program that limits the data that can pass through it and protects a networked server or client machine from damage by unauthorized users.

Anti Virus = Antivirus software is a program used for scanning and removing viruses from your computer. While many types of antivirus programs exist, their primary purpose is to protect computers from viruses and remove any viruses that are found.

Internet Suites = Firewall + Antivirus + whistle and bells

Are you wanting to turn control of your puter over to a corporation ( who makes a profit by adding programs to their whitelist) and allow them to decide what is and is not going to get into and out of your puter. If so then pick any of the 3 you listed.

Collapse -
Since all three are ...
by Edward ODaniel / January 14, 2012 10:02 AM PST

available as free trials try each of them and then settle on the one that YOU are most comfortable with.

Personally I and many, many others find the native Windows Firewall to be more than adequate when paired with a good Anti-Virus and Malware scanner (such as MalwareBytes) along with due dilligence on the part of the user.

WE cannot tell YOU the "best" of what you listed because just like a favorite breakfast, it will be different for most of us because our tastes and preferences vary.

Collapse -
The Best...
by Ben52646 / May 2, 2012 5:51 AM PDT

Best Firewall (with maximum MANUAL user control): COMODO Firewall 2012 set to "custom policy"

Best "free" antivirus (my opinion): Avira Antivirus

---> The perfect "free" tag-team that won't let you down. I don't like security suites because I feel they are easier to target by hackers/viruses. This duo hasn't let me down yet (and lets just say, what I download puts these two to the test). <---

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.