Computer Help forum

General discussion

Zonealarm install error message(cannot install)

by angelian / February 22, 2006 2:55 AM PST

Hello
I have tried to install free zonealarm but I keep getting an error message which is this:

Zone alarm Installer:GLBA7.TMP- APPLICATION ERROR
The exception unknown software exception(0xa3410004)occured in the application at location 0x7c81eb33

Does anyone know what this means.Thank you
Angelian

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition
Product Name: ZoneAlarm (Free)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Zonealarm install error message(cannot install)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Zonealarm install error message(cannot install)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Angelian, Please Use These Steps..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 22, 2006 3:35 AM PST

Basically, you need to clean EVERYTHING from ZA off the computer, both files and registry entries, using the steps below. It takes a while but it will allow you to then install ZA Free:

Complete Manual Uninstall Instructions For ZoneAlarm

How To Perform A Clean Uninstall of ZoneAlarm

Chiawaikian?s Secondary File and Registry Clean Up For ZoneAlarm

And after you've followed all of the steps in the links above, make sure to delete all files from within the C\Windows\Prefetch folder, the "Temporary Internet Files" folder and all other "Temp" folders.

Restart the computer into Safe Mode and install ZA Free while in Safe Mode.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Suggest leaving the Layout.ini in the Prefetch folder
by caktus / February 22, 2006 7:46 AM PST

or surfing may be slooow for a while.

Collapse -
Caktus, Unfortunately, It Needs To Go Too
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 22, 2006 8:14 AM PST

Any file that has a reference to ZoneAlarm can block the new installation..The "layout.ini" file has start up instructions for ZoneAlarm, IF it's been previously installed, and as such, needs to be deleted to eliminate all traces of the previous installation.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
My bad, Grif...
by caktus / February 22, 2006 12:55 PM PST

Never actually look very deep in the Layout.ini. But rather the actual prefetch files when I've wanted to clear out a few. Big fat lot of good I guess that did.

It appears that the Layout.ini holds reference to locations of every Driver, Program used in startup as well as every program ever used. Right now it's nearly .5MB.

Every few months or so I like to completely clean out the prefetch files because the folder gets so thick with obsolete items. Perhaps I shoud also dump the Layout.ini as well, or learn to manually clean it.

BTW, I've read of folks not touching the Prefetch folder at all, even for years unless there's a problem to be dealt with. Can I get openions on this?

Thanks

Collapse -
With XP, It's Not A Major Deal, Either Way
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 22, 2006 1:09 PM PST
In reply to: My bad, Grif...

Cleaning out the Prefetch folder is generally not a "requirement" but it does help in some circumstances. The Prefetch folder was designed to speed up the boot process by saving boot program data. As such, it generally does a good job. On the other hand, deleting the older, unused Prefetch files can save a small amount of space and help with a small amount of start up quickness. Not much, but a little..Generally, it's not worth the trouble.

In this case, ZoneAlarm will occasionally have installation issues because of that saved boot data so cleaning out the Prefetch folder is required. It's a common problem and solution which has been discussed on the ZoneAlarm forums.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) See you're point. Thanks.
by caktus / February 22, 2006 3:06 PM PST
Collapse -
Zonealarm install error message(cannot install
by angelian / February 22, 2006 4:35 PM PST

Well now I don't really know about prefetch beause I could not find it or layout.inf,all of these problems started when I ran crap leaner and it did such a good job that I am now looking for some drivers.I managed to fix somethings with IEfix but I had to replace some drivers first and then even though I had zonealarm other times before,zonealarm gave trouble to install after the cleaning so I don't know if prefetch and layout had anything to do with it.I have a suspicion that it is related to something else,I cannot remember the original error message but it had something to do with text,how the application translates the text or something like that,it might be total gibberish but I remember text being a part of the error message,however there is a utility for cleaning and monitoring the prefetch which I found at majorgeeks.

Collapse -
Angelian...Follow The Steps I Provided..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 22, 2006 11:28 PM PST

.in my earlier post at the link below:

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6122-0.html?forumID=44&threadID=158957&messageID=1763753

On Windows XP, the C\Windows\Prefetch folder will be there..I've never seen an XP computer with the "Prefetch" folder missing. It's not a "hidden" folder. Simply open the folder and delete all the contents. All of the steps from the links I provided in that post must be done manually per my previous instructions.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
You can find the Prefetch folder by...
by caktus / February 23, 2006 12:18 AM PST

going to Start > Run > type in Prefetch > left click OK. Or by using Explorer's Search Assistant.

I've found it a good rule of thumb to uncheck the Preftch box in CrapCleaner.

Collapse -
windows says prefetch folder is not there
by angelian / February 23, 2006 4:35 AM PST

I have looked for the prefetch folder.when I type it in run it says that it cannot be found,I have also done a search.How or where can I reinstall it.

Collapse -
Once Again, Have You Followed The Other Steps..?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 23, 2006 5:04 AM PST

Let's get ZoneAlarm installed first..Have you followed all the other steps to manually remove ZA, then reinstall the new one?

The Prefetch folder can be recreated by following the steps below:

1. Open a cmd window and type or paste this:

Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks

2. The folder will be rebuilt with the current apps and drivers.

3. Also check the registry path below to set the parameters for the Prefetch process.:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ Session Manager \ Memory Management \ PrefetchParameters

dword value = EnablePrefetcher

0 = Disable,
1 = App launch prefetch
2 = Boot Prefetch
3 = Both (recommended)

The default is generally 1 or 3.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Tried reinstall again
by angelian / February 23, 2006 5:29 AM PST

Hello
I tried all the steps to reinstall zonealarm but to no avail so I am going to put back prefetch and see if that is related to it.I also tried in safe mode.
Thank you for helping me with this.I wii foloww direction again and see.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You've Got To Get ALL of ZA Removed Before Reinstalling
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 23, 2006 6:21 AM PST
In reply to: Tried reinstall again
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.