Computer Help forum

General discussion

Zone Alarm disables my Internet Explorer when installed.

by robb7thurston / February 24, 2008 8:21 AM PST

I have a Dell Dimension 3000 running MS XP96, and SP 3 (candidate). At present the Windows firewall is used because I cannot seem to find a helpful alternative. But I would install Zone Alarm if I knew how.
First, i have some applications:Google Updater;Qwest Quick Care;Belarc Advisor;Real Alternative;Foxit reader;Secunia PSI . I used to have Counterspy and Spyware Doctor, but Zone Alarm anounced that they conflicted with it. I uninstallled them.
QUESTION: When i download Zone Alarm, it turns off my Internet Explorer. Can anyone help me get Zone Alarm going along with Internet Explorer and all the above applications? Please help: Advise.
Thanks a lot: Robb

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Zone Alarm disables my Internet Explorer when installed.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Zone Alarm disables my Internet Explorer when installed.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
When I see this I find.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2008 8:29 AM PST

The owner had set Zone Alarm to maximum protection. Which effectively cuts off the internet. But you installed SP3 so for now it's either SP3 or the Zone Alarm usual.

Don't fret about it since you are way out there on a limb with SP3. I expect more stuff to break.

Bob

Collapse -
Can you explain that more?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 24, 2008 7:05 PM PST

You said, "When i download Zone Alarm, it turns off my Internet Explorer".

At what stage during the 'download' of ZoneAlarm does it close down Internet Explorer?

When you install ZoneAlarm you are taken through a License wizard, then a Configuration wizard. The Configuration wizard should step you through the setup of your default browser. This article may help you through the process;
http://www.easycomputertips.com/article-installzonealarmfirewall.html

By the way, personally I would turn off ZoneAlarm's anti-virus and anti-spyware options and stick with your separate anti-virus and anti-spyware utilities. ZA is a good third party firewall, but I am not convinced that its anti-malware options are as good as other more well known products.

Mark

Collapse -
Zone Alarm disabled my Internet Explorer
by robb7thurston / February 25, 2008 12:24 AM PST

Dear Mark;
Been there, and am out. No one seemed to respond but you. If I had gotten you yesterday, probably I would use Zone Alarm, but I am using the PC Tools firewall now, just installed last night, to replace my shabby Windows firewall. However, FYI, installation of ZA was easy enough, for that matter, i tried twice. Both times, it was smooth enough. However, both times, IE was totally disabled after the
download. I had to sorta crack my programs, they were slow, flickered a lot and did not act right. For example, the cursor would stop on the wrong candidate and then i had to begin again. I did succeed in cracking my programs and immediately uninstalled the ZA, and IE came right up. Then i had to take care of defragmenting and compacting a lot of files. Big fubar, as far as I am concerned.
This is not you, Mark, i thank you, and i DO NOT know why this is such a fubar. For the moment the PC Tools firewall is fine until i get a big virus. Then i shall see.
If you know why this fubar happened, and you can help, I might try ZA if i get a virus. NB Yes, i have a virus engine, AVG, and two spyware engines, again AVG for spyware and also PC Tools Spyware Doctor. I got out of Windows firewall because it was not strong on two way firewall actions and i did not want any bots coming in and multiplying from my machine outward.
Thanks again Mark,
Robb

Collapse -
Well thats a shame, but these thing happen.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 25, 2008 4:14 AM PST

Yep, I'm sorry you had so much difficulty with ZA Robb. Sometimes this happens and what looks like a perfectly good software package on some machines will fail miserably on others. I think we tend to call this a 'Windows' thing, Happy

The new ZA, since about 2006, is a much heavier product than what it used to be, and I have certainly had a performance hit with it. It seems to check each and every process now, whether it's up front or in the background, and at first I was hitting ZA alerts all the time to accept them. I persevered with it and my own ZA is reasonably fast now, but like I said before, I disabled its anti-virus and anti-spyware options.

I have heard that PC Tools is a good package so you should be OK with that. As long as you have a basically good firewall that you can configure easier than the Windows firewall then that's fine. I also use AVG anti-virus and AVG anti-spyware.

Good luck.

Mark

Collapse -
PC Tools, ZA and Multi-Virus Scanners
by robb7thurston / February 25, 2008 4:39 AM PST

Dear Mark;
I first came acroos PC Tools through a freebie from Google Pack. Google Pack's Spyware Doctor (which i still use) reveals spyware and is willing to remove it and also run real time. It does not immunize as a freebie, only if you pay. I liked it as a freebie and got curious as to what else they make. I got from PC Tools Threatfire, which is a good antivirus, but probably not the very most agressive. Both are very easygoing for the unitiated, a real dream to use for me.
I found that the Firewall PC Tools makes is also easy going. For me that is A+ as i am not educated in computers, just a neophyte.
Here is the thing: if I find a nice easy going geek, and he wants to initiate me in ZA, I will probably try to get it as it is the best, but I need such a geek, its not for me to do by myself.
I am also very interested in multi-virus scanners. Howoever, i believe that they are just beginning. I would like to see one that is easy going but has, say, four or five scanners bundled. One for real time, and the others bundled so as not to conflict, and available for a scan on demand. It is my speculation that a freeware multi-virus scannner will apear in a few years because there is so much crime going on.
Summary: if I get a mellow geek to help me, i will go back over to ZA, not before, and I am very interested in a multi-virus scanner.
Best,
Robb

Collapse -
Robb, I am with you... like ZoneAlarm the best but
by glenn30 / February 25, 2008 5:37 AM PST

like you am using PC Tools Free Firewall. ZoneAlarm will not work for me using Vista and slows the machine to a crawl... especially booting and shutdown.

Am not fully understanding "permissions" in PC Tools firewall. I do not understand the difference between Connecting and Full Access. What I really want is to be able to control which programs send information from the computer. Maybe PC Tools is doing that but I am a little uneasy as it's not as simple for me as is ZoneAlarm.

Any explanation of this and how to control what goes out is appreciated.

Thanks!

Glenn

Glenn

Collapse -
PC Tools Firewall: Me Neither
by robb7thurston / February 25, 2008 5:49 AM PST

Hi Glen;
Boy, you are probably slightly more vigilent than I am. However, i am also mystified by a lot that comes through the PC Tools firewall. I back myself up by running every day the MS LiveOne Care Scanner in full version (I think it is call protection--whatever is on TOP of the list). They have caught a few things, and do a very thorough scan.
Do you know that PC Tools has a forum? I would suggest that you go there, read the posts and then contribute, and maybe call their support for details.
"Connecting" and "Full Access" are also a mystery to me. Good luck.
Best,
Robb

Collapse -
Thanks!!
by glenn30 / February 25, 2008 6:07 AM PST

Not more vigilant... just a little paranoid perhaps! I liked being able to control who sends out things in ZoneAlarm... that was one of its best features for me and was a source of comfort that spyware or spybots are not on the system and disclosing personal stuff behind my back. That is not foolproof but it helps. Once it was trained it was pretty much on its own.

Thanks, Robb, I appreciate the reply. Maybe some day we will have ZA back.

Glenn

Collapse -
Just a thought.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 26, 2008 1:54 AM PST

One of our other Mods, Bob Proffitt, has posted in the Windows XP forum here;
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-4_102-0.html?forumID=5&threadID=285565&messageID=2715155

The thread is about XP SP3 issues and I suspect this is going to become a sticky post where people who update to SP3 have problems. Sticky posts stay at the top of a forum.

I noticed in your first post that you said you had XP with SP3 (Candidate). I'm not sure what the (Candidate) signifies, but I just wonder if SP3 has broken ZoneAlarm.

SP3 hasn't been released generally yet even though it is available, so I suspect that it is still a pre-release version to iron out any final bugs, eg for software developers like Zonelabs.

It might be worth keeping an eye on that thread.

Mark

Collapse -
I can fix this
by I_I_Plasmaz_I_I / April 18, 2009 3:49 AM PDT

This works on Zone Alarm pro, not sure about the others but its worth a try.

Click Program Control
Turn program control to off.

This allows internet explorer to work, although it disables outbound protection. So far this is the only way to get it to work I have found out, adding it to super trusted doesn't work so you should only do this when using the internet to keep you fully protected.

Your Welcome Happy

P.S. I subscribed to this forum just to help you, it annoyed me too so im glad I could help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.