Phones forum

General discussion

Zire 31, MP3 player and SD card question

by katiebug57 / December 29, 2005 3:28 AM PST

Didn't know whether to post this on this forum or the handhelds . . .

Bought an SD card (1GB) for downloading music to. My dtr's pda (Zire 31) supports the SD card and has a built-in MP3 player.

Can't figure out how to download music from media player (have both Windows media player and RealPlayer) to the SD card.

I have dragged the song to Palm Quick Install and it shows up in the window that says "expansion card" and a note that it will be downloaded with the next hot sync.

When hot sync'd, looked at expansion card (which was inserted in the pda during the hot sync) from the pda and didn't see the song.

However, when I go back to Palm Quick Install, it shows that the song download has been "subtracted" from the expansion card memory.

Have read and reread the info in the Zire31 User Manual to figure it out, but the window that it says should come up when dragging the song to the Quick Install icon on the desktop never comes up.

Also can't figure out how to read the SD card in the pda MP3 player.

Gosh, I'm banging my head against the wall here. Any suggestions? Thanks.

katiebug

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Zire 31, MP3 player and SD card question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Zire 31, MP3 player and SD card question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hmm,
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 29, 2005 3:33 AM PST

I used the Media item on the Palm desktop to install such.

Collapse -
this may help
by Qosmio / December 29, 2005 4:44 AM PST

when using my sd card for storage I insert the SD card into my pc moveing Mp3/Movies/pictures in folder i have created in the sd card.then I put the Sd card in my pda.when I open my media player the folders are there for the picking.

Collapse -
Huh?
by katiebug57 / December 29, 2005 11:51 AM PST
In reply to: this may help

Although I appreciate both responses, I am totally and completely lost!

First, there is no "media" listed on my palm desktop. Shoulder there be? Or did you mean the word "media" generically, and if so, what did you mean specifically? LOL

Second, I got the part about putting the sd card into my pc. But, I know nothing about an sd card, so I haven't a clue how to create a folder on the sd card. Or, how to move things to a created folder.

Oh, my, my head hurts!

katiebug

Collapse -
Sorry for the small image.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 29, 2005 12:23 PM PST
In reply to: Huh?
Collapse -
Can I get it, too?!
by katiebug57 / December 29, 2005 1:42 PM PST

Is it my palm desktop that is deficient? I mean, why would you have this obviously most wondrous thing and I don't? Perhaps it is because you know more than me . . . which frankly, wouldn't be hard to do!

K-bug

Collapse -
I think you've found what's different.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 30, 2005 12:20 AM PST
In reply to: Can I get it, too?!

Between home and office we don't have the Zire 31. We have a collection of all serail port equipped PalmOne PDAs of PalmOS 3.5 and higher which includes the Palm Vx, IIIc, m100, E, E2, T2, T3, T5, Zire 71, LifeDrive, T|X and the Treo 650. Since we want to sync to so many we used the CD that came with the LifeDrive at the office and I used the T|X CD at the home office.

I don't see the MEDIA MANAGER at palmone.com but look there and try Qosmio's folder idea.

Bob

Collapse -
folder on sd
by Qosmio / December 29, 2005 2:09 PM PST
In reply to: Huh?

when insert the sd card in pc you have a window pop giveing you choices.click on (open folder view files)then click ok.you will have a window come up that says removable Disk -that windows your sd card.put pointer in that window and right click.you will scroll down to (new) then you will see (folder)left click.you will see a folder you created on you sd card.you can name that folder lets say mp3dec05.leave the window open
on your pc go to (start) then to (my music).drag and drop music from you pc to you sd card folder-mp3dec05.
you can put as many folders on you sd card thats needed to store diffrent music as well as pics.

Collapse -
SD Card
by katiebug57 / December 30, 2005 2:13 AM PST
In reply to: folder on sd

Great idea. But, nothing pops up when I insert the SD card into my pc. Does that mean the SD card is bad?

There is only one slot in the front of my pc for this card.

Katiebug

Collapse -
SD is ok
by Qosmio / December 30, 2005 4:41 AM PST
In reply to: SD Card

on you pc.click start then click on (my computer)in your choices you will see something like....(secure digital storage device)or a SD card icon.double click on it and window pops up.that your card were you install folders

Collapse -
from that point
by Qosmio / December 30, 2005 4:47 AM PST
In reply to: SD is ok

drag&drop music/movies/pics/ from your pc (my music) folder to the sd folders.

Collapse -
Thanks!
by katiebug57 / December 30, 2005 11:02 AM PST
In reply to: from that point

Thanks, everyone! Ya'll (as we say here in the South) have been wonderful. Turns out the SD card reader in my computer is bad; perhaps will buy a card reader and go from there.

All of your help has been invaluable.

Best to all,
katiebug

Collapse -
before buying a new card reader
by Qosmio / December 30, 2005 1:37 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks!

make sure all of your drivers for your reader are up to date.

Collapse -
The fix
by sharebliss / March 16, 2011 12:08 PM PDT

Hi katiebug - It's been 6 years, so you probably don't even use the Zire 31 anymore, but I just got one and had the exact same problem.

If you have your Zire 31 and your PC connected properly (ie; they see each other) then you can do the following:

If you go to http://en.softonic.com/s/palmone-zire-31:palm and download the RealPlayer for Palm, that works. Make sure you have Palm Desktop installed, install the RP you download at the above link and run it. It will install the player on your Zire with the next HotSync, then run it on the Zire to auto-detect any MP3s on your storage card. Remember, the Zire can't recognize cards larger than 1GB.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,224 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,453 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,090 discussions
icon
Security 30,722 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,937 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,295 discussions
icon
Phones 16,252 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,684 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,215 discussions

Finding the best 360 camera

GoPro, Pixpro, or Ricoh?

You can spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars on a 360-degree camera. We tested three of them to find out what kind of quality and ease of use you can expect at each price point.