Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Question

ZeroAccess trojan

by littlep24 / June 26, 2012 11:25 AM PDT

I have a zeroaccess trojan on my desktop.ini I am not able to find the file within my computer. From what I can see the only thing I can do about this is for a product I hope that is not the only resoltion

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ZeroAccess trojan
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ZeroAccess trojan
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: ZeroAccess
by Carol~ Forum moderator / June 26, 2012 12:39 PM PDT
In reply to: ZeroAccess trojan

littlep..

'From what I can see the only thing I can do about this is for a product I hope that is not the only resoltion'

You haven't provided any system or background information, nor have you included the name of the product you're referring to.

Be that as it may, due to the nature of ZeroAccess and the difficulty removing it, I feel you would best be served by posting at one of dedicated malware removal forums. You will find them listed on the left-hand side of this page. Choose only one.

I would also warn against some of the websites you find on the internet, which claim to have various tools to remove it. Those listed at the link I provided are safe to use.

You may be interested in reading what was posted at the HitmanPro Blog yesterday: ZeroAccess - From Rootkit to Nasty Infection

I doubt HitmanPro alone will remove it, but it may be worth a try depending upon which variant it is. It's free to use without a license. If ZeroAccess is found, you will receive a free 30-day license to remove it. Note: There are separate downloads for 32 and 64-bit versions of Windows 7. http://www.surfright.nl/en/downloads

Best of luck..
Carol

Collapse -
Answer
trojan
by littlep24 / June 26, 2012 2:40 PM PDT

Hi Carol,

thanks for your response I belive I reposted to the right forum how do I tell if it is .32 or 64. I read the link you gave to me for yesterdays posting regarding trojan; unfortunately I didnt understand it at all.

Collapse -
Answer
hitman pro for trojan virus
by littlep24 / June 26, 2012 4:07 PM PDT

It seems as though the virus is gone. Now i am getting an error while trying to delete a cookie
yieldmanager.net is this a common error

Thanks for your time

Collapse -
Re: yieldmanager.net
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 26, 2012 6:21 PM PDT

That's not an error. That's a 'domain'.

Now please tell about your browser and the error.

Kees

Collapse -
browser
by littlep24 / June 26, 2012 10:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: yieldmanager.net

I am sorry but I am a beginner and dont know a domain is; I am running internet explorer 9 delete failed

Collapse -
Re: delete failed
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 27, 2012 5:58 AM PDT
In reply to: browser

A google search for COOKIE "DELETE FAILED" leads to nothing. So either you have a rather unique problem or it isn't the exact message.
Can you tell how you try to delete that cookies (or all cookies) and what happens?

And what happens if you simply delete all contents from you cookies folder in My Computer or Windows Explorer (while not running IE)? Your cookies folder is (in Windows 7):
C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies
Set the folder options to show both hidden files and protected operating system files to see that folder.

Kees

Collapse -
More useful info from Carol.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 27, 2012 7:36 AM PDT
In reply to: browser

Perhaps reading http://www.donottrackplus.com/trackers/yieldmanager.net.php will help you understand what Kees was referring to. As stated, yieldmanager.net is a domain [that's the last part of an url] used by RightMedia which is an advertising company that is part of a network of sites, cookies, and other technologies used to track you, what you do and what you click on, as you go from site to site, surfing the Web.

You haven't shared much about the error with us. Or how it came about. Did you try to delete ALL your cookies? After doing so, did you try blocking yieldmanager.net along with yieldmanager.com? There may be a couple of others. You would have to search your cookies to see if others exist. (i.e. ad.yieldmanager.com and content.yieldmanager.com).

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/How-to-manage-cookies-in-Internet-Explorer-9# tells you how to block cookies. It instructs you to click on the Tools icon, then Internet Options. When clicking on the Privacy Tab, you should see a "sites" button. Enter (and block) the first address above, then press OK. Do the same with the second. Does that help?

You might also want to consider scanning with the free program from http://www.superantispyware.com/ It detects and removes tracking cookies.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.