Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Zango. What is it?

by Y4 / July 8, 2004 2:30 AM PDT

Hi,

None of my spyware programs detected Zango.exe on my PC. This program loaded on my PC covertly. Completely unwanted....Desktop short-cut, and all. However, when I ran a McAfee scan it detected Zango as a potentially unwanted application, and listed it as a variant of "180solutions", known spyware! It even comes with an installer, that will reload the program onto your computer if deleted from "Add/Remove programs". The only program that detected it, and removed it successfully was McAfee. Has anyone else ever had the "Zango experience"? What the heck is it?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Zango. What is it?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Zango. What is it?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Zango. What is it?
by Marianna Schmudlach / July 8, 2004 2:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Zango. What is it?

I didn't hear about Zango - but about 180 solutions which is a PEST Sad

Download Ad-aware from here: http://www.computercops.biz/downloads-file-292.html
Install by double-clicking on the downloaded file.
After installing but before running, update Ad-aware by using its Globe icon.
After updating, shutdown and restart Ad-aware.
Ad-aware is ready to scan and clean your system following these steps:

Under Ad-aware 6 > Settings (Gear at the top) > Tweaks > Scanning Engine:
"Unload recognized processes during scanning."
Under Ad-aware 6 > Settings (Gear at the top) > Tweaks > Cleaning Engine:
"Let Windows remove files in use after reboot."
Press "Scan Now"
Check option "Use Custom scanning options"
Check option "Activate In-Depth Scan"
Press "Select drives\folders to scan"
Select the active partition which is usually C:
Press "Next" to let Ad-aware scan your drives...
If it finds "bad" files and registry keys, press "Next" again
Right-click in that pane and choose "select all"
Press "next"
When it asks to remove all checked items, Press "OK"
Close Ad-aware, reboot your system and go on to Step 2 below.

Spybot S&D
The download for Spybot S&D is available here: http://www.computercops.biz/downloads-file-108.html

Install by double-clicking on the downloaded file.
Run Spybot S&D from desktop icon or Start menu.
Press "Search for updates" button to get list of updates available.
Press "Download updates" button.
Close all IE windows and close & restart Spybot S&D.
Press "Check for problems" button.
Have SpyBot remove all it marks in red by pressing "Fix selected problems".

Close Spybot S&D, reboot your system .

Empty your Temporary Internet Files and history in Internet Options. And clean out your
%Userprofile%\Local Settings\Temp
folder. It's a good idea to do that regularly.

Did it help?

Collapse -
by Y4 / July 8, 2004 3:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Zango. What is it?

Marianna, I ran Adaware, and spybot on my PC. Adaware recognised the Zango.exe, but could not remove it. I tried removing it at start-up, but to no avail. I then ran spybotS&D, it too recognised the 180solutions variant Zango.exe., and removed it successfully, however, it failed to recognise the Zango installer, and at next boot-up, BAM! There it was again! That's when I ran McAfee8, and it detected, and removed both Zango.exe, and the Zango installer. My PC is now free of the pest. This pest is a tricky one. I've done a little research on it, and from what I've found....it tries to HiJack your explore.exe, and iexplore.exe applications. If the HiJack is successful, you would in turn delete your browser application if you delete Zango from "Add/Remove programs". This, in my opinion, is spyware nearing virus potential! BEWARE!!Thank you for your attention in this matter.

Collapse -
by Marianna Schmudlach / July 8, 2004 3:17 AM PDT
Collapse -
Zango--how to delete?
by Watercolorist / May 1, 2005 12:42 PM PDT

I am unable to remove the dll file of Zango from my computer. I have removed everything else that I can think of, but the Zango icon remains on the bottom of my screen, and Zango remains active in alerting me to stuff. I want Zango to go! What can I do? I am not really high-tech...so explain in simple terms, please!

Collapse -
(NT) read the posts in this thread.
by dawillie / May 1, 2005 1:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Zango--how to delete?
Collapse -
by bdette / June 19, 2005 6:28 PM PDT

So how can I delete Zango safely w/out compromising my browser app?

I have a computer/unit in my internet cafe with that pesky problem.

BTW, how did it get there?

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 8, 2004 2:52 AM PDT

Just a comment. Some expect anti-______ tools to find all things. The problem is that new pests show up every few hours so it takes time for McAfee and others to catch up.

On your part, are you trying another browser which doesn't allow silent installs of such things? Internet Explorer doesn't show any signs that an off-switch is going to be added.

Bob

Collapse -
by Y4 / July 8, 2004 3:08 AM PDT

R.Proffit, I am using MSN explorer, at my own risk. =0(

Collapse -
by dfactor / August 9, 2004 6:57 AM PDT

Ooof, me too. I got Zango over the weekend, and it's been an all consuming affair to rid myself of it. I successfully cleared most of the other junk that came with it, using a combo of Norton 2004 and Ad Aware, but can't rid myself of the Zango monster.

I cannot open an Internet Explorer browser window now. It reverts to restarting my computer. Is there a way to get to the Internet through other means? I've currently use only IE 6.

Thx.

Collapse -
by Marianna Schmudlach / August 9, 2004 7:30 AM PDT

Look if you can find it under add\remove - if Yes - then uninstall it.

Als look here:

c:\program files\zango\zango.exe

Collapse -
zango
by ourshady2 / May 6, 2005 1:36 PM PDT

Hi. I saw a site where you can go and download a mesenger to chat & make aviators and more. It has Zango there as a messenger. Thought it might help you out.

Collapse -
Zango. What is it?
by cwnurse / August 13, 2007 9:30 PM PDT

Zango showed up on my PC, I found it came loaded with Bearshare. If you delete it Bearshare won't work & will need to be reinstalled (with Zango again). I have blocked Zango in my Zone Alarm firewall as the only way to have Bearshare work.

Collapse -
Y4
by tomron / August 13, 2007 10:19 PM PDT

Are you aware that the post that you are responding to is about two years old and will not likely get any response you're better off starting a new thread.

Tom

Collapse -
Tom, it is 3 years
by roddy32 / August 13, 2007 11:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Y4

old, 7/8/2004 and Y4, the member that you just addressed is the one who created the thread 3 year ago. Someone at CNET put this thread into one of the newsletters as a "latest discussion" so people are clicking the link in the e-mails and finding it. We will have to wait for the thread to die out again which is where it belongs. Happy

Collapse -
New old
by monmlee / August 14, 2007 12:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Tom, it is 3 years

Yea, I followed the new link CNet had for this and started reading, oblivious of the dates.
Since I never got this bug, I would have guessed that it ran it's course, and ways to eradicate it had come and gone some time ago.
Let's hear it for the 'good guys' !

Collapse -
Yep, 3 years
by darkdestiny7 / August 14, 2007 12:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Tom, it is 3 years

But this information can be interesting and vital to those who have the same problems. One can also reply in a 5-year-old post as long as the information or threat still exists today.

To cwnurse, do you actually need BearShare in the first place? Just for your information, BearShare is listed in security companies like McAfee (SiteAdvisor) as dangerous, containing spyware and adware. It's not always good to use P2P (peer-to-peer) programs, in the first place.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.