Samsung forum

General discussion

YP-R1: Metadata showing as 'Unknown'

by TheFishFace / January 25, 2010 1:05 PM PST

Hello, all.

Last week I purchased a YP-R1 and my initial impressions were good. However, a serious flaw is preventing me from using the device properly; metadata is not read correctly for OGG Vorbis music files.
I have tried transferring the files both in MSC and MTP mode, but in either case almost all Ogg music files I transfer have 'Unknown' for the Artist and Album fields (in MSC mode the Title field varies depending on the program used to transfer the files, in MTP mode it is correct)
I have tried many avenues to work around this problem, firstly upgrading to the 3.00 firmware, and formatting the device. I have used Windows in Linux, both in MSC and MTP, and on Windows have tried EmoDio and WMP 11. While helping the libmtp guys out with some info on the device, I noticed that, if you transfer the file and then look on the device before disconnecting it (using the Linux tool "mtp-tracks") the full metadata is displayed. Upon disconnecting the device, it reverts to 'Unknown,' and will not be displayed when running the same command again.

Since the player recognises the metadata for a few (out of hundreds) of files, the capability is there. Furthermore, since the information is consistently accurate before disconnecting the device, and since applications on Windows and Linux both fail, I've concluded that the player software must be buggy. Is there a work-around available? This issue appears to have been raised by other users with other players, for example:

This person also notes a library update problem in MSC mode. I have had the library update hang, or the player crash immediately after updating. (Hence I have been careful to try everything in both modes)

Obviously this is unsatisfactory; the lion's share of my collection is in Ogg Vorbis and I purchased the player with that in mind!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: YP-R1: Metadata showing as 'Unknown'
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: YP-R1: Metadata showing as 'Unknown'
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
YP Player: Unknown vorbis metadata bump.
by TheFishFace / January 26, 2010 9:57 PM PST

Little bump - does anyone else have this problem, or do Samsung staff have anything to add?

Collapse -
Does the Samsung YP-Q2 have this bug too?
by scrawl5 / August 26, 2010 4:11 AM PDT

I'm considering a Samsung YP-Q2, however this bug would be critical for me as most of my music is in ogg format. So, my question to the Samsung staff is, does the bug (no metadata showing on ogg files) affect only the Samsung YP-R1 or are similiar devices like the YP-Q2 also affected?

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 27, 2010 10:28 AM PST

For .aac files and .ogg vorbis files, the metadata is displayed as unknown. There is no global standard for either. While ID3 tags are standardized, metadata is not. As a result, the player may not be able to support these tags.

If you name the file, that title will be listed whatever you want to name the file - of the file itself.

I don't have a solution if it's not a supported format, and I'm not aware of a workaround.

Collapse -
by TheFishFace / January 27, 2010 10:46 AM PST

Well, the standard tag system for Vorbis is Vorbis Comments, and the MTP protocol is capable of transmitting metadata independently of the file contents (Hence it is possible to set the track title correctly using MTP mode).

Still, thank you for your answer. (You've saved me a phonecall Happy ) I'll be returning the player because of this - is there a standard way to send customer feedback to this effect? I prefer to vote with "wallet and voice" if possible.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 27, 2010 2:19 PM PST

I'll be happy to copy your comments and send it to the appropriate departments. If you'd also like the mailing address, I'd be happy to provide that for you as well.

Sorry to hear this doesn't meet your needs, but thanks for giving us a try.

Collapse -
Hope remains
by TheFishFace / January 28, 2010 12:38 AM PST

In a last ditch effort to avoid sending it back (bought it online, so it would be a fair bit of effort...) I went back to an old idea I head for a workaround, and uncovered the truth Silly

So, it turns out the player *does* support Vorbis Comments - but not properly. It only supports them if they are in capitals, whilst Xiph, the inventors of Vorbis, stipulate that, for example, there is no difference between TITLE=Moonlight Sonata and title=Moonlight Sonata.

The reason I was not aware that this was the true cause of the problem is another bug - the library does not seem to update if you change the case of the tag, so when I tested this theory previously, it didn't work. This time I formatted the player and started afresh.

This highlighted another bug in the current (3.00) firmware - although I now have Artist and Album information, Vorbis tracks are displayed out of order - the player isn't reading the Track tag, or isn't using it correctly.

Thus I count 4 bugs I have found:

1. The player only reads Vorbis Comments if they are upper case
2. When listing Vorbis tracks, the player does not use the Tracknumber metadata field
3. When transferring Vorbis files to the player in MTP mode, some metadata is discarded after disconnecting the player.
4. Library is not correctly updated if tags are changed on the device.

These are, in comparison, minor problems, but obviously they ought to be fixed. Furthermore, while I very much appreciate your responses, (and understand that this is a general forum where one cannot expect every staff member posting to know everything about every Samsung product!) it is clear that whoever did reply wasn't in possession of enough facts regarding this situation.
Having spent a significant amount of time (several hours per day for the past week) trying to figure this out, I would like to be put in touch with someone with whom I can talk about this directly, with a view to these issues being fixed in the next firmware release. I would be more than happy to help out more by testing further.
If it is relevant to who I should talk to, I am in the UK (but am quite happy also to speak to German representatives.)

Thank you for your help and understanding.

Collapse -
Hope remains
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 28, 2010 2:20 PM PST
In reply to: Hope remains

I do appreciate your feedback - and your testing. However, I'm unable to disclose employee information of anyone in the organization. Further, I don't have contact with the Samsung UK or Germany offices.

The best I can offer is to send your findings to the engineers, and I'll be happy to do that.

Collapse -
by TheFishFace / January 28, 2010 9:02 PM PST
In reply to: Hope remains

That would certainly be appreciated. If it would be helpful, I'd be happy to provide an email address if further detail is required.

Please keep me posted with any progress.

Collapse -
Metadata showing as 'Unknown'
by etwetwe / May 20, 2010 9:47 PM PDT

The same problem with YP-R0. (Firmware 1.19)

I used a hex editor to look into ogg-files ... I can confirm that bug with uppercase and lowercase tags ( e.g. supports ALBUM=[album tag] , but not album=[album tag] ).

At WinXP I used mp3tag to edit the tags, but mp3tag ignores whether the metatags are uppercase or lowercase.

I'm a linux user, too. And I uses the MSC mode, because MTP mode is a little bit circuitous for me.

It seems that this bug affects all samsung players which support ogg/vorbis. I'm happy then this bug will be fixed in a future firmware release.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.