Android

Question

YP-GS1 won't factory reset

by jm123456567 / July 30, 2013 6:01 AM PDT

It keeps crashing so i went to reset it/wipe everything... but nothing wipes. Everything is still there.
I've wiped it over 20 times now different ways trying different things.
I don't need to know how to wipe it but maybe a different way to just get everything off of it. Or any ideas or advice

HELP!!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: YP-GS1 won't factory reset
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: YP-GS1 won't factory reset
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Say. You added more at your post in the Samsung forum.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 30, 2013 6:56 AM PDT

In the Samsung forum you write "crash" yet I didn't read that word here. Details matter and I would not have guessed it was crashing. That would change my answer and would have me ask you to see if Samsung has newer firmware as well as more history about the product.
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I think this is true.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 30, 2013 6:05 AM PDT

I've tried this on a few Android phones and what did I learn? It appears we have to go to the product manual to figure out how to clear EVERYTHING. A "factory reset" appears to not do a wipe on many models.

So make it easy for everyone and supply a link to the product manual. You own this so my bet is you have that handy.
Bob

Collapse -
I don't own it but i found one
by jm123456567 / July 30, 2013 6:08 AM PDT
In reply to: I think this is true.

on the samsung website and the link is here

Collapse -
Factory Reset is not "Factory Data Reset"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 30, 2013 6:21 AM PDT

I see another reset on page 145. Be sure to remove any SD and SIM cards before this and then check to see if your personal data is still there after the Factory Data Reset.

One new owner was griping about something similar and the data was not in the device at all. It was on the SD card and/or SIM.
Bob

Collapse -
ok
by jm123456567 / July 30, 2013 6:24 AM PDT

ok I do have the SC card removed... and also it is lost atm. Either way i should be able to get off what is on there ?

Collapse -
What is a SC card?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 30, 2013 6:27 AM PDT
In reply to: ok

I know SD, I know SIM, what is SC? Maybe a typo.

OK it appears you are asking a NEW QUESTION. For me when I want to copy files off my SD card I slip it into my laptop and copy the files out. I see in the product manual it can format the SD card. So one could erase it that way.
Bob

Collapse -
it was a Micro SD card
by jm123456567 / July 30, 2013 6:31 AM PDT
In reply to: What is a SC card?

And it's lost. i can't find it it must have gotten lost. Which is now my main problem.
I mainly just need to know how to reset it... what is stopping it from resetting? If i do reset it with the SD card inside, will that work? or not change anything

Collapse -
Please clarify the item above.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 30, 2013 6:33 AM PDT
In reply to: it was a Micro SD card

Factory Reset is not "Factory Data Reset" and it's on page 135.

If that fails we are going to to the Samsung forum where we have a very nice Samsung Ambassador to submit this as a bug.
Bob

Collapse -
oh that's what i meant (and it's on pg 145)
by jm123456567 / July 30, 2013 6:45 AM PDT

It has failed every time i've done it...

Collapse -
OK. By failed I don't know what that means but.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 30, 2013 6:49 AM PDT

You should post in the CNET Samsung Forum and my bet is they'll ask what firmware version the device is at. Many of these have updates to correct flaws like that.
Bob

Collapse -
(NT) Isn't that what this is?
by jm123456567 / July 30, 2013 6:51 AM PDT
Collapse -
What is that?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 30, 2013 7:02 AM PDT

This is the CNET Android forum. A catch all to discuss android. It's not a support forum but folk do find answers here so in a way it is support.

There is a very nice Samsung Ambassador that is in the CNET Samsung forum and they are great folk and should be able to point you in the right direction. Here I could only see if it was one of the usual issues I've seen but with the manual and page number clearly calling out that it was slightly different I thought there was a chance of fixing this.

But now with you adding it crashes my thoughts are either a) there is new firmware out for it or b) It has failed.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Next stop? The CNET Samsung Forum.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 30, 2013 6:50 AM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
It would brick your device....
by John_Farrel / August 20, 2013 10:08 PM PDT

Dude you have made a severe number of trials, I think. It may brick your device or the memory could just crash. N yes you have even mentioned that. I couldn't tell anything regarding that when you have already made so many attempts. You may try formatting it manually.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Magazine

The summer issue is here!

In the latest edition of our quarterly magazine, we look at how you can spend your summer getting fit and having fun. Pick up a copy on newsstands today or order it now.