Computer Help forum

General discussion

Youtube problems

by flashster / May 12, 2008 12:01 PM PDT

When trying to access videos on youtube all it does is show that the video is loading and that is it. I let it go for a few hours and no loading. This happens on 90% percent of all the videos I try to watch.
Sometimes it will say that the video is no longer available, but I can watch it on another computer.
Anyone with any ideas as to what's wrong?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS. I can watch videos on any other video site(unless it's linked to youtube)with no problems.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Youtube problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Youtube problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not Much Information There...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 12, 2008 2:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Youtube problems

You've told us nothing about your computer and what you have installed.. What have you already tried to fix the issue? Which operating system? Tried uninstalling your old version of Flash and java and reinstalling them with the newest versions? Which browser are you using? Tried a different browser to view the videos?

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Collapse -
Youtube problems
by flashster / May 13, 2008 8:50 AM PDT

Dell dimension 4700 2.5gb of ram, 160gbHDD
Browser: Firefox, IE, and Opera
I have checked my firewall, reinstalled and updated both Flash and Java.
Ran 4 different virus scans Avira, avast A-2 and AVG
which turned up nothing.
As I have said I can run videos from any other source except Youtube. It's as though there is a filter blocking 90% of the videos. There seems to be no pattern to which ones I can get or to the ones that I can't.

Collapse -
You've Got Three Different AV's Running??
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 13, 2008 2:15 PM PDT

It's probably not related to the issue, but I'd lose all but one of them.. A-squared is more appropriately an antispyware program so it could stay.. All three running together could be causing conflicts.

My first thought is there may be a HOSTS file blocking Youtube or the site where the videos are playing from.. A-squared uses something similar.. So does Spybot Search & Destroy.. Or maybe you've got a full fledged HOSTS file preventing those items..

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Youtube problems
by flashster / May 14, 2008 9:21 AM PDT

Thanks for the reply.
I only have avast running all the time. The others I use as back ups and run them manually.
I guess I'll have to try Hijack This.

Collapse -
by latchodrom / December 13, 2012 6:01 AM PST

I am a similar problem with my samsung es60un7500 - no problem watching youtube on my Toshiba Quosmio, but a lot of the youtube videos on my samsung says "videos not available", when I know there are available.
It works on my computer and not on the TV.

What is the proble and how can I fix it?

Thank you

Collapse -
We just covered that in a recent discussion. NOT HAPPY!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 13, 2012 6:07 AM PST
In reply to: Youtube
Collapse -
Thank you for your reply
by latchodrom / December 13, 2012 10:17 PM PST

I read the discussion, but I have to admit that I do not understand it...

I am not a computer programmer, I just own an expensive TV, and have problem with Youtube.

I thought that I was doing someting wrong.

Thank you for your help

Collapse -
I can expand on that if you want. Here's a little more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 14, 2012 12:20 AM PST

As Google has changed Youtube to a MONETIZED platform they changed what you can see by not only region but devices.

You didn't do anything wrong. What I do read and hear are folk taking this out on the makers of TVs and tablets. Go figure why.

Collapse -
Thank you
by latchodrom / December 14, 2012 2:30 AM PST

Well, after reading and re-reading many times, I understand what is happening, and you just confirmed it.

So there is nothing we can do, if the video was not monetized by the one who put it on Youtube, tough luck (to be polite) for us....

Stupid, as we do not have the problem on the computer.

Well, thanks again for your help!!!

Collapse -
You're welcome.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 14, 2012 2:36 AM PST
In reply to: Thank you

It's a change that worries me.

If you've been around, there is some concern if google takes their ball and goes home. That is, what if they and wikipedia vanished into some subscription model? It can happen and you are seeing the move to that with this.

And ONE OTHER THING. Read what Wozniak said about "the cloud." Don't fall for that trap.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.