Samsung forum

Question

YouTube on Samsung problem

by dobes49 / December 3, 2012 12:03 AM PST

My new 7150 Samsung 3D Smart TV YouTube app won't play most search results. Video Not Available message appears many times as it scrolls through videos looking until it finds one it can play by that artist. Hard wiring does not help. Trying Youtube from the web browser does the same thing. Samsung help line technician had no clue their TV's did this or what the problem is.

My Friend's Panasonic Viera works flawlessly on the same search. Interestingly, my same friend has a Samsung Smart TV also, and his Samsung does the same thing mine does. Does anyone know what Smart TV's out there work properly? Sharp, LG?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: YouTube on Samsung problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: YouTube on Samsung problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: YouTube Problem
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 3, 2012 6:09 AM PST

Hi dobes49,

I've encountered this before. I've encountered actually on mobile devices. YouTube gives content providers the ability for their content to be limited to only platforms that can be monetized. Here's an article on it: http://support.google.com/youtube/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2453875

You'll note they listed some apps that aren't monetized. Therefore, they'll be blocked from viewing the video, but it'll still come up in search results.

HD Tech

Collapse -
YouTube
by dobes49 / December 5, 2012 8:59 AM PST
In reply to: Re: YouTube Problem

Thanks for explaining that. Does anyone know if LG or Sharp have this limitation or why my friend's Panasonic does not? Can I add an Apple TV box or a receiver or blue ray player so that all the YouTube videos will play?

Collapse -
Small world.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 5, 2012 9:13 AM PST
In reply to: YouTube

I was chatting with friends about this and Youtube's filtering is causing issues. Since it's their site you have to ask them about it. I'm unsure where Google is going with this but it looks like they are trying new ways to monetize the site.
Bob

Collapse -
YouTube
by dobes49 / December 5, 2012 8:56 PM PST
In reply to: Small world.

I would say it is a Samsung issue. The YouTube app search gives you many videos - not anywhere near as many as a desktop computer search, of course - but only a few of them will play on the Samsung. As I said, my friend's Panasonic gives the same search results, but plays all the videos, while his Samsung doesn't. I am hoping someone can tell me if Samsung plans to lift this restriction for their TV's through a software or firmware update, what TV brands will play them all or if there is an additional piece of equipment that I can add that will work around the Samsung restrictions, such as an Apple TV box.

Collapse -
Re: YouTube
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 5, 2012 11:42 PM PST

Hi dobes49,

So allow me to pull back the curtain some more on how this development thing works. I get asked on a regular basis why doesn't Samsung update X app to work. The humorous thing about this is that Samsung doesn't make anything but Samsung apps; we only test for stability issues before allowing other developers' apps to be launched or updated. This is true of Netflix, HBO, Amazon, Hulu, Pandora, and whatever other app you want to name, including YouTube.

I have to admit that I've been perplexed myself on why YouTube hasn't bothered changing its app because YouTube is basically missing out on revenue. Admittedly, YouTube has been going through the Google-plusification of their whole interface. So they're likely just putting their limited development resources toward other projects.

HD Tech

Collapse -
YouTube
by dobes49 / December 6, 2012 12:34 AM PST
In reply to: Re: YouTube

So the YouTube app that Samsung opted to install may be different from the YouTube app that Panasonic apparently installed (they look graphically identical and give identical Search results)? How about the option of watching my Samsung through a blue ray player with a YouTube app or through an Apple TV box?

Collapse -
Re: YouTube
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 6, 2012 1:04 AM PST

Hi dobes49,

Not sure what the language they development in for Panasonic, but sharing visual assets isn't unusual. So they may share code base, and they may not. The identical search results also isn't surprising at all.

However, an app from another Samsung device won't be any different, as your TV is new and near top of the line. Apple TV won't work, as it was specifically listed as not being so. This is what it says is supported as monetized platforms:

www.youtube.com
YouTube native app on Android
YouTube native app on Xbox
YouTube native app on GoogleTV
YouTube on TV (only for newer versions)

HD Tech

Collapse -
I hear you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 5, 2012 11:52 PM PST

But as I have gone to the Samsung Developer meetings I get to see how this system works. Read HD_Tech's reply and he pulled back the cover for you.

This is almost like your Windows PC where apps are from many companies. And quite a departure from the days of old where everything in the unit was from the maker.

I wish it was a Samsung restriction because then they could address it. Google is the new Microsoft is what I'm hearing.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.