Samsung forum

General discussion

YouTube, Netflix, Amazon Inst. Video on Samsung-KBD Support

by stef24x7 / May 25, 2013 2:29 AM PDT

This is a no-brainer, but I was extremely surprised my recently purchased UN40EH5300FXZA wouldn't recognize the keyboard in the YouTube, Netflix, or Amazon Instant Video apps.

There's nothing smart about that. What there is is a huge usability / customer dis-satisfaction issue.

Yes, I've paired my Android Tablet to the TV and can search for and play a YouTube video on my tablet, to have it displayed on the TV, but, that wastes bandwidth, and it isn't perfect. It's in some cases quite buggy.

Yes, I've also tried to use a port of the Samsung Smart View app on my tablet (because I don't have a Samsung phone - someone ported it and the .APK can be found on the web), and while it, like the pairing option above provide functionality, the keyboard on SSV doesn't pop up in those apps.

Close, but not quite.

The Web Browser on the UN40EH5300 runs out of memory... Someone is doing extensive testing of this stuff, yes?

Samsung needs to push its partners hard on behalf of its customers and provide some basic usability and operability improvements to these apps.

You can sense the potential for "smart" here, but what is passing for quality, "fully engineered", compatible or integrated is very disappointing.

Samsung, please step up completeness in productization.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: YouTube, Netflix, Amazon Inst. Video on Samsung-KBD Support
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: YouTube, Netflix, Amazon Inst. Video on Samsung-KBD Support
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
They admit the browser is limited.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 25, 2013 2:49 AM PDT

It's not even close to what you can do on a PC. Here's a link about that:
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-571556/wh-samsung-smart-tv-web-browser-closed-uneexpectedly/?messageId=5354305&tag=rb_content;forums06#message5354305

I'm guessing here you want the full browser experience you get on the PC but on the TV? That's what most of the complaints seem to center on. As there is no PC in that, you get an "appliance" internet experience.

There's also issues with pushing around Google to get they YouTube to work with keyboards. We have prior discussions about that but even Samsung can't seem to push Google to supply a good version. Here's a link about that:
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-579587/that-youtube-app-hdtech-will-love-this/?tag=contentBody;threadListing

The apps are complete for an appliance. If you want a PC experience you need to consider adding a PC. Some folk explode over this but as there is no PC in the TV, it can only do so much with it's limited ram and CPU.
Bob

Collapse -
Not a complete experience; Not looking for a Full-PC
by stef24x7 / May 25, 2013 4:43 AM PDT

Bob,
I wouldn't characterize my expectations as revolving around a full-PC experience. Not in the least. Yet my phone and tablet are much more functional than my TV in most respects. Simply, the integration with these other devices and my TV (which is supposed to be smart), is... not. There is much room for improvement.

The single biggest issue I have is lack of keyboard integration, and that is a fundamental usability gulf... one that isn't impossible to fix, and one that is worthy of Samsung championing.

In addition - the great engineers at Samsung could come up with a supported Android app (on platforms other than their phones) that provides both a remote capability, but also a keyboard.

Seriously - these devices are simply not fully productized.
S.

Collapse -
And what about apps? Who wrote what?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 25, 2013 5:01 AM PDT

I supplied a link about the keyboard issue and how that app was not from Samsung. It's from another company that is a 600 pound gorilla and you may not be able to get them to fix it.

This TV is not unlike your Windows PC where you have apps. However as folk are discovering, the apps have bugs but Samsung didn't write the app so how to get that fixed? That's a big question.

I hear you and it appears that I didn't convey this well enough.

1. There's only so much ram in the TV.
2. Apps do have bugs or limitations.
3. Not all apps come from Samsung so how to get something like an app from a monstrous company fixed when it's not your own?
4. If you can't login to the samsung servers, even the browser fails. Why is that?

All this is why I write to not pay a dime for the Smart TV feature. It's still a work in progress and my view on this does upset those that sell and promote this. But the TV for it's PQ and know that the apps are limited and flawed at times.
Bob

Collapse -
Whoever did the writing doesn't matter... Who is hosting is.
by stef24x7 / May 26, 2013 12:32 AM PDT

I see your points Bob, but ultimately, the experience on the host is what is important.

It should be a great embarrassment to Samsung to have this poor integration and poor quality. It should be Google/YouTube fixing at Samsung's urging / partnering. Doesn't Samsung have a say in the usability and operability of the apps it hosts? Yes indeed it does.

In parallel, Samsung should be developing a SmartTV controller app for Android that works on Android phones and Tablets other than just their particular phones. This is simply CRAZY.

Both actions, concurrently. Now that's SMART.

Collapse -
Get out and try other smart tvs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 26, 2013 12:41 AM PDT

I find them to have issues too. I think you are getting what's amiss here. That is, they rolled out with apps that were not from their own farms and can't twist arms to fix things in apps they don't own.

But there is a financial (millions of $) angle to all this. They are trying to cram all this into a TV. Just a few years ago, the TV was just a TV and while each year they have gotten better, the consumers have been asking for more. And most of the complaints I hear are about the browser capabilities. Yes it's a browser but it is limited and won't do for some sites.

It's still a TV so adding a full up keyboard may push the cost up so it can't sell as well as a competing model. It's a crazy competition and it's not a PC but you find folk wanting it to be as good as your PC.

As to the Android app, think of the market size for that. It's a fraction of sales so it's something they do work on but like you suspect it's not a big team on that.
Bob

Collapse -
PS. Forget to mention the Samsung Developer program
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 26, 2013 12:44 AM PDT

If you google Samsung Developer you find out more about that and how it applies to all this. I go to these developer meetings and if Samsung did all the programming and such then there would be no attraction to outside developers. Since it is open to a third party to make a better Android app, why should Samsung make a perfect one?
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.