Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Youtube freezes when i expand to full screen

by Walking Dude / May 31, 2008 8:41 AM PDT

i have a old computer, with only 16mb vid card......AMD 650 proc, with 384 ram. When i was using Win98SE sp2, i could play full screen, but now with XP PRO sp3, it will play in the normal screen that Youtube uses, but freezes when i try to play it Full screen. I did a forum search on my problem, and did not find anything to address my problem.......did the ADOBE Flash problem finding/fixing program. Is it freezing because i am stressing the Ram too much, and then should i be happy with just Youtube playing in its normal window?

Please, no suggestions to upgrade. I KNOW all that, but money is tite, so limping by for now.

TIA

Wd

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Youtube freezes when i expand to full screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Youtube freezes when i expand to full screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I think you answered your own question
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 31, 2008 9:06 PM PDT

With a 16MB video card and 384MB RAM anything like full screen video is going to struggle.

As you have asked, I won't mention upgrades.... Happy

Mark

Collapse -
I left out some info
by Walking Dude / June 1, 2008 2:03 AM PDT

crap.......i left out, that before i upgraded to XP Pro, and was using windows 98SE sp2, i had NO problems with running full screen videos, if fact, i dont have any problems NOW running full screen videos, just Youtube, is the only one that won't run full screen.....so saying my vid card and ram is too small, doesn't hold water in my case

Collapse -
Sadly it does.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 1, 2008 2:20 AM PDT
In reply to: I left out some info

I can't count how many times a move from 98 to XP leaves a formerly working part limited or unusable.

-> You mention an upgrade to XP but not a word about how you handle the dozen drivers you had to find.
Bob

Collapse -
haven't yet
by Walking Dude / June 1, 2008 4:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Sadly it does.

everything werks just fine............

my dvd burner
sound card
software

Collapse -
Case closed?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 1, 2008 8:27 AM PDT
In reply to: haven't yet

So you fixed it? How?

Collapse -
didn't fix ANYTHING
by Walking Dude / June 1, 2008 10:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Case closed?

only thing that doesn't werk, since i upgraded to XP Pro, is youtube full screen

when i upgraded tho, my drive is now nfts, not fat 32

Collapse -
That's good.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 1, 2008 10:36 AM PDT
In reply to: didn't fix ANYTHING

Now try a modern video card. Or do the usual hunt for drivers.

Collapse -
video card........
by Walking Dude / June 1, 2008 10:43 AM PDT
In reply to: That's good.

soon as i win the lottery, will be happy too.

One income household, with momma werking. My health, atm, prevents me from werking, trying to get into college, at age 53.

But why will videos from other sources, play full screen FINE, but not Youtube. I mean, the sound continues, the video continues. When i click back to the reg. Youtube page, its moved along........just the video, in full screen froze. But i can get videos from freinds, (links), that i enlarge full screen, and plays PERFECT. Just not Youtube.

My problem is not playing videos full screen.

My problem is getting Youtube videos to play FULL SCREEN.

Collapse -
Let's recap.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 1, 2008 11:09 AM PDT
In reply to: video card........

I can't find where you share the make, model of the video card so no one will hunt down the drivers for you. Each time you post there is some words in red that asks for such detail so you'll find I don't ask.
Bob

Collapse -
sorry
by Walking Dude / June 1, 2008 11:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Let's recap.

Sorry, my bad..........new to this forum........

Diamond Monster Fusion. ver. 1.07

I had a PNY vid card, 128 mgs that took a dump on me before its times, so i had this as a backup.........

Collapse -
Bad news.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 2, 2008 12:36 AM PDT
In reply to: sorry

I had one of those. The drivers were discontinued years ago and still had some remaining bugs. Once you get the latest and it's still dead then why not forget Windows XP and go back to your working Windows 98se?
Bob

PS. I gave that card away. It was that bad.

Collapse -
Had the same problem, can't play youtube videos full screen.
by godboy111 / September 15, 2011 10:54 AM PDT
In reply to: video card........

First, play a youtube video, then right click, scroll down click on settings, deselect Enable Hardware Acceleration in the Display panel. Worked for me, hope it works for you!

Collapse -
You Tube full screen problem too
by humorguy / November 10, 2008 4:14 AM PST

I have a powerful, modern system and I have the full screen You tube video freezing and audio continuing. If I shrink back to normal and than back to full and rewind to miss what I lost all is now okay - it's most annoying though!

Collapse -
youtube video won't expand
by stevedorschner / February 22, 2009 6:14 AM PST

just bought a new laptop with Vista and I have the same problem

Collapse -
That's a warranty issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 22, 2009 6:18 AM PST

Be sure to call it in or just return that machine fast.

Collapse -
video won't go to full screen
by stevedorschner / February 24, 2009 11:42 AM PST

I downloaded adobe flash player 10 and everything works fine now.

Collapse -
youtube full screen freezeing fix (for me)
by mburke6 / March 28, 2010 2:52 AM PDT

I just had this same problem with a brand new Asus Aspire Revo 1600. This fixed the problem for me:

open youtube and start playing something in a windowed non-fullscreen mode, right click on the youtube video and select "settings". uncheck Enable Hardware Acceleration

Collapse -
youtube freezing fixed
by ccontrerd / November 20, 2010 7:19 AM PST

Great! I had the same problem since forever in a good machine and just today got impatient about this and decided to look for a fix...regret I haven't had done this before...

Thanks Very much!

Collapse -
No youtube fullscreen...
by Hungrybody_Hungrymind / December 16, 2010 4:20 PM PST

i have the exact same problem with youtube. I tried this for my system and it didnt work... i have the new Ubuntu and i use mozilla & adobe 10. What should i do?

Collapse -
You're the man!
by ib42 / August 2, 2011 6:54 AM PDT

Every once in a while, somenone just gives a simple solution to a proble.
You are one of those.
Thanks!

Collapse -
youtube full screen freezing fix
by vixtervb / August 27, 2011 1:06 PM PDT

Thank you thank you mburke6, why couldn't anyone else come up with this excellent fix - better yet why doesn't youtube put it on their site? My PC and laptop BOTH suddenly for no reason had this problem - your fix worked for both, instantly. Maybe caused by some sort of IE update??? who knows.....

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.