Download.com Site Feedback forum

Rant

Your Download Manager

by richierein / January 21, 2013 3:12 PM PST

CNet has corrupted its download manager with so much tricky advertising that it requires a keen eye to avoid downloading an unwanted product. In addition, you guys try every trick in the book using your download manager to do the same thing. You're always trying to trick the user into downloading some program he neither wants nor needs. I do my best to try to avoid using your download manager. The only time I ever use it is when no alternative is available. It seems that ethics have left your company a long time ago. The Internet has become a dirty word and you come near the top of the list of abusers.

Richard Rein

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Your Download Manager
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Your Download Manager
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Free Adware with every down? Give me a break CNET!
by mschneider63 / January 28, 2013 8:37 PM PST
In reply to: Your Download Manager

You have got to fix this problem. I have downloaded Blackberry Desktop and Backup Extractor and I'm not sure which one (if not both!) has resulted in adware popping up all over the place. What the hell happened CNET? This is not like you.

Has your own security been bypassed or was this an intentional act by CNET?

Please post information on how to remove - this is deplorable conduct! There were no options with these downloads for any other products - I check that very carefully.

PLS ADVISE ASAP!

Thanks
Mark Schneider

Collapse -
Contacting support
by CNETSupport / February 4, 2013 3:56 AM PST

Mark,

When you contact our support team via the form mentioned in my previous post, please be sure to include the name of the particular offer you need help uninstalling, and other relevant details, so that we know exactly which item you need assistance removing.

Again, the support form is located here:

http://t.cnet.com/PS6r5c

Regards,
Jen

Collapse -
We apologize for any inconvenience here.
by CNETSupport / February 4, 2013 3:53 AM PST
In reply to: Your Download Manager

The CNET Download.com Installer is an ad-supported stub installer or "download manager" used for many software titles on our site, and does offer additional, optional third party applications during the installation process. All offers included in the Installer are tested to make sure that they conform with our security policies prohibiting malware and spyware, and all may be declined or opted-out of without affecting the initial download.

If you do not wish to use the CNET Download.com Installer, you always have the option of using the "Direct Download Link" instead. All products on CNET Download.com have a direct download link, but only "CNET Installer Enabled" products call it out separately.

Depending on your browser and the specific product you are looking at, you can find the "Direct Download Link" in one of three places on the page for CNET Installer Enabled items:

- Right underneath the green "Download Now" button

- By mousing over the green "Download Now" button in order to see and click the "Direct Download Link" in a pop-up bubble

- By mousing over the blue "CNET Installer Enabled" text in the "Quick Specifications" column to the right side of the product page to see and click the "Direct Download Link" in a pop-up bubble

You also have the option to turn off the Installer for the whole site, though you do currently need to have a CNET account and be logged in to take advantage of that feature. To do so, login to the site, click the "My profile" link and then the "Update my Download.com Preferences" link, select the "Off" option and click the "Save Changes" button.

You can read more about the Installer here:

http://t.cnet.com/SB3tiC

If you need any further assistance (such as with uninstalling a particular offer), please contact our support team directly by filling out the form at the following location:

http://t.cnet.com/PS6r5c

Regards,
Jen
CNET Customer Help

Collapse -
uninstall offers malware
by cltjase / February 6, 2013 11:54 PM PST

When I uninstall the helper object that raises the ads, my antivirus find malware in the feedback page by that company.

file:C:\Users\myaccount\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5\J5MFH815\impression[1].htm

impression.htm is the page rendered when you uninstall the Play Brite ad popup utility that comes with the CNet download manager.

Don't click the URL:
http://playbryte.com/UninstallSuccess?source=outbrowse_playbryte_fa&implementation_id=playbryte-fa-outbrowse&user_id=503d06f9-3ae3-44b4-9074-c45c828d8748

The page has malware on it to try to redirect the browser to another page and skip security checks... Trojan:JS/Seedabutor.B
http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/threat/encyclopedia/entry.aspx?Name=Trojan%3aJS%2fSeedabutor.B

Its unethical for CNet to continue to use PlayBryte addin and do anything that triggers a malware threat to my computer. I am deeply offended and will never download another tool from CNet.

Collapse -
Can you please provide some more information?
by CNETSupport / February 7, 2013 3:35 AM PST

cltjase,

I am forwarding your comments on to our site managers for investigation, and have created a proxy ticket in our support system so we may keep better track of this issue.

Please look out for an email from us requesting further information (specifically, what software you downloaded and what country you were located in at the time), and please respond to that when you can.

Thanks,
Jen
CNET Customer Help

Collapse -
this WMA-to-MP3 tool
by cltjase / February 7, 2013 3:56 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.