Spyware, Viruses, & Security

General discussion

"Your current seurity settings do not allow this action"

by Ed Bellah / August 19, 2006 10:52 AM PDT

I am running WinXP Home SP2, Firefox 1.5.0.6, Adblock, ZoneAlarm Pro, and Norton AV 2006. Sometimes when I receive an email with an attachment that I try to open in Windows Media Player, I get the above message. I have no idea if it is a setting within Norton, ZoneAlarm, or what settings I need to change. Any ideas has to how I can open these attachments?

The email states that the mail and attachments have been checked by AVG and no viruses found.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "Your current seurity settings do not allow this action"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "Your current seurity settings do not allow this action"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Email Protection - -
by mirra_250 / August 19, 2006 11:20 AM PDT

Ok, well first of all, NEVER EVER open an email from an unknown sender. So many viruses are being sent by email because amatuer users are known to open any email. AVG is not the best AV around, so it may not be picking up this virus if there was one. If the email was from an unknown sender, don't even bother scanning it, just don't open it! But if this email was from a known sender, I really can't help you that much. Try searching your error on google, and let's hope that it gives you some answers, and if other forums come up relating to your problem, they can be of help as well.

Paul

Collapse -
Which version of IE??
by Marianna Schmudlach / August 19, 2006 12:17 PM PDT
Sometimes when I receive an email with an attachment that I try to open in Windows Media Player, I get the above message.

Why would you open e-mail attachments with Windows Media Player?

To open an attachment that has been sent to you, first open the message by double clicking on the message summary line. The message opens and displays the appropriate icon for every attachment that is included. To open an attachment double click the attachment's icon. Your computer should automatically recognise the file type, and launch the correct application for the file it is opening. However, beware! The main way a virus can enter you computer is by e-mailed attachments. If the file ends in .exe, .pif, .scr, .zip DON'T OPEN IT. It is mostly certainly a virus.

http://www.dynamicwebs.com.au/tutorials/attachments.htm#opening
Collapse -
Why would you open e-mail attachments with Windows Media Pla
by michhala / August 19, 2006 5:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Which version of IE??

AOL E-mails come in with media files as attachments and are opened with WMP. I am configured for downloads to desktop and scan there before opening.

Miki

Collapse -
Miki, Thanks - I had NO idea

that AOL opens attachments with WMP.

Collapse -
Most welcome, Marianna but.....
by michhala / August 20, 2006 7:43 AM PDT

....I want to make sure we are on the same page here, because methinks I have been misleading Happy I have always used AOL as my e-mail provider, so it is the only one with which I am familiar.

All files sent to me not embedded in the AOL E-mail come in as separate attachments to the E-mail. I have AOL configured so that when I click ''download now'' at the bottom of the E-mail, the file is downloaded to windows desktop. At desktop after I scan the file, I open.

That said, the exception to the above (applies only to media files) is when media files come in to AOL as separate attachments to the E-mail and ''download now'' is clicked at bottom of E-mail, AOL immediately opens the media file to their desktop using AOL Media Player which does not allow time for a scan.

My workaround is to click ''download later'' instead of ''download now'' at bottom of AOL E-mail. This brings up the download manager which automatically downloads to windows desktop where I can scan before it is opened by the configured WMP

Actually, you are correct in that AOL does not open files with WMP........unless Miki helps Happy

Miki

Collapse -
"AOL does not open files with WMP"...
by Marianna Schmudlach / August 20, 2006 8:08 AM PDT

Hi Miki,

Actually, you are correct in that AOL does not open files with WMP........unless Miki helps

We are on the same "wavelength": WMP opens and plays midifiles etc. Wink

Collapse -
I'm experiencing the same problem...
by hiyall69 / September 15, 2006 1:43 PM PDT

However, I get the message whenever I click on any icon on the desktop except for My Computer.

That includes My Documents and any shortcut icons. But if I move the icons off the desktop, it works just fine. I'll try to remember to keep you updated if I find a solution.

Keep in mind that this computer is littered with viruses and spyware. Over 15,000 infected files by a virus and 20,000 pieces of spyware. It was a difficult task but I'm finally seeing an end to it all. Happy

On other thing to note, I'm not able to get into user accounts. It acts as if it's going to open but never does... don't even get an error message.

Collapse -
Sounds Like The Solution Is Known...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 16, 2006 1:26 PM PDT

With that many viruses, spyware, etc., corruption of the system is almost a sure thing.. The best option is to wipe the drive and reinstall everything.. It will take less time to perform and be more effective than hunting and pecking. Then use your backups which you surely made, to replace all your personal files..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Certainly...
by hiyall69 / September 17, 2006 2:16 AM PDT

Yes certainly... that would have been the better option. Unfortunately, I didn't have their installation cd and I know that mine doesn't allow me to enter a key so I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to change the key to theirs.

After several ADware scans and virus scans, along with uninstalling and reinstalling service pack 2, the computer is now clean and working properly.

While working getting this computer secure, I find a great site that gives a lot of information on how to block sites using the HOSTS file. I don't recommend novice computer users to take this advice... however, if you feel that you fairly knowledgeable about PCs, please take a look.

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.