Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

your computer might be at risk

by dawillie / May 28, 2005 5:49 AM PDT

I have got this message twice today on re-boot.

the entire message says 'your computer may be at risk because firewall is not turned on'.

I have the firewall enabled and has been so since i d/l SP-2.

As far as I know I am clean with AVG for default AV periodic on line scans with Trend and/ or Panda.

MSAS enabled as well as Ewido Security Suite, a second firewall Kerio v 2.1.5 and rountine malware scans with Spybot and Ad-Aware.

I am also behind a router and all of the software in 'enabled' in MS Firewall.

All these have been in place for sometime and no functionality problems.

XP-PRO-SP-2 fully patched.

Has any one else experienced this phenomenon and is there a workaround or an MS article that deals with the issue.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: your computer might be at risk
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: your computer might be at risk
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
same problem
by milentie / May 28, 2005 7:05 AM PDT

i have the same problem and i also have firewall installed, did you maybe find the solution?

Collapse -
went back to firewall settings
by dawillie / May 28, 2005 7:29 AM PDT
In reply to: same problem

and made sure all my software was 'enabled' in it.

then de-activated the firewall and re-activated it.

re-booted TWICE and no warning of any kind.

will igonore it from now on if it pops up because i have two more firewalls, had them before SP-2 and was adequately protected.

you might want to take the same approach.

Collapse -
The ''trick'' is to....
by Papa Echo / May 28, 2005 8:31 AM PDT
will igonore it from now on if it pops up because i have two more firewalls, had them before SP-2 and was adequately protected.

use only ONE firewall. Either SP2's or one of the others, so that there is no conflict.
Collapse -
your computer.......
by Earthquake McGoon / May 28, 2005 10:15 AM PDT

I don't thin k you should have more than one firewall enabled at a time. This will avoid conflicts.

Earthquake McGoon

Collapse -
firewall not turned on
by mantengaze / January 17, 2009 4:00 PM PST

well I am a dumb *** so most of what you said went straight over my head.. I spilt beer on my keyboard and within half an hour my things that I typed in started to get mixed up; a backspace would come up as a 8 and an a became a ap. This problem seems to have repaired itself however now I get this message " your fire wall is not turned on " so Im not sure if it is a coincedence or if there is something wrong with my machine.

I have tried the Microsoft "fix it" program but im still getting the message.

The computer runs slower than before and I am not sure what to do now..

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.