Windows Vista forum

General discussion

You do not have sufficient rights to perform this operation!

by drfugawe / March 25, 2008 5:04 AM PDT

Inspiron 1521
AMD Turion, 1.80 GHz
1918 mb ram
Vista, Home Premium
Zyxel P-330-W Router
Cannon S-750 Printer (on network)

Greetings,
I continue to get a message on my laptop that says I should install the proper printer drivers on my laptop. So I have been trying to install the drivers for the above noted printer (which is installed and attached to another computer on a home network) on my new laptop, and when I try, I am getting this message, "You do not have sufficient rights to perform this operation". This occurs even when I'm logged on as "administrator"! What is a higher authority than that?

I tried to search these forums for an answer, but apparently this is a very common issue because I got more than 89,000 hits, and they were all over the map. So please excuse if this is overkill, but I sure would like to get my printer woes fixed.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: You do not have sufficient rights to perform this operation!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: You do not have sufficient rights to perform this operation!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Two Suggestions..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 25, 2008 11:52 AM PDT

1. Turn OFF UAC (User Account Control): Open the Control Panel (Classic Style), then double click on "User Accounts", then in the "Turn User Account Control (UAC) on or off", UNCHECK the box for "User Account Control". Reboot the computer.

Once that's done, Vista may warn you of the lack of security by throwing a red or yellow warning shield in the lower right corner/system tray. You can disable that as well by opening Control Panel, then the "Security Center" icon, then select the "Don't Notify me and don't display the icon" option.

2. Select "Run As Administrator": Find the executable for the driver setup, RIGHT click on it, choose "Run as Administrator".

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks Grif
by drfugawe / March 27, 2008 8:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Two Suggestions..

I did all you suggested, and I am able to use the network printer from the laptop. However, all is not perfect because if I go into the laptop's Control Panel/Network and Sharing Center, Printer Sharing still shows "no printers installed", and the process of printing on the network printer is a looong sloooow process! I'm assuming that's due to some conflicts somewhere. But perhaps I'm confused about installing printer drivers and installing printers - ?

But I sure am getting tired of hassling with this stuff.
john

Collapse -
How Did You Install The Networked Printer?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 27, 2008 8:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Grif

I've found that most have better luck with Vista by installing a network printer as a "Local" printer per the instructions below. (Yes, I know it's a "network printer".) So you may want to uninstall your current printer from the Vista computer at this time. You'll reinstall it in a few minutes..:

First, if the networked printer is connected to an XP machine, make sure that you install LLTD on all of the XP computers so Vista can find and map them better:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120/en-us

Then, finally, per another post in the Networking forum:

Go to Control Panel. Choose printer. Then choose Add Printer.

Choose Add a local printer. Click on Create a new port. The default in the drop down box is Local Port. Do not change that. Click Next.

A dialogue box will appear asking for you to enter a port name. Type in the \\computer name\printer name ie. My computer's name is basement and the printer name is EpsonSty so I typed in \\basement\epsonsty

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Yes on all your suggestions! All of that has been done.
by drfugawe / March 29, 2008 2:49 AM PDT

If I go into CP/Printers on the laptop, I see a reference to the network printer (on the XP computer) and it is marked as the default printer. But if I go into Network Sharing Center/Printer Sharing, it still says "No Printer Installed". Yesterday, I couldn't print from the laptop, today, no problem! I have done nothing (consciously) in the intervening time to the network or either machine. This is what is so frustrating. Something's not right in there, but apparently, not so bad as to cause total failure.

However, I do appreciate your assistance.
john

Collapse -
Gkitchy Connection?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 29, 2008 5:52 AM PDT

Is the connection wireless or wired? Updated the drivers for the ethernet card and wireless adapter?

Either way, there have been a number of connection issues when the router was using older firmware which didn't correctly support Vista.. Try updating your router/modem firmware.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Ahaa! The light grows brighter
by drfugawe / March 30, 2008 2:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Gkitchy Connection?

Hi Grif,
I think you may be getting real warm! The router I'm using is a Zyxel P-330W, wireless of course. Zyxel calls it an "802.11g Secure Wireless Internet Sharing Router", but they don't seem to have much interest in its support - there is no reference to it on their website, so therefore, no way to upgrade the firmware. I also note that very few of their older routers have had firmware updates for Vista; Zyxel's usual comment is that a firmware update is "Not Necessary".

A further annoyance is that as I was working through the communication checks in the User's Guide, I was unable to invoke them because my noted username and password did not seem to work - neither did the default ones. So I seem to be stuck!

Do you think I should be looking for a replacement router?
john

Collapse -
It's An Option Some Are Being Forced To Make
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 30, 2008 5:26 AM PDT

I just checked their site and as like you, I can't find a P-330W listed there. I find a P-320W listed but not 330. The P-320W DOES have a firmware download available which is date May 2007.. But it does appear as if your model is no longer supported..

Yep, I'd start looking for something newer.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Yes, you're right
by drfugawe / May 15, 2008 9:39 AM PDT
In reply to: P-330W

but back in late march, it was not! - BTW, the firmware available now is the same firmware that came with my router that I bought in Oct. '07.

Collapse -
It worked! Connecting as a local printer with a new port
by TechExpressInc / June 19, 2008 12:01 AM PDT

and using the network path to the printer, one stubbing
block I hit was a long printer name with spaces just using the
first part worked with the letter from from the next word, 8 characterrs the printer was named "Samsung ML-2510 Series"
"SamsungM" worked.

Thanks for the help! I tried at least a dozen times in the last 2 months without success.

Russ @techexpressinc.com

Collapse -
More advice!
by ncgenek / June 20, 2008 3:36 AM PDT

In addition to all the other advice, TAKE ownership of any file with which you are having problems.
Gene K

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.