Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

"you do not have permission to save in this directory,

by rehbrh2008 / April 29, 2008 11:02 AM PDT

I used "drag & drop" to move some of my documents to a cd rw disk on my D drive. It all transferred well, however, when I open the files and edit them it does not allow me to "save as" on that same cd on the D drive and says, "You do not have permission to save in this directory. See the administrator to obtain permission. Would you like to save in the My Documents folder instead?"

So it wants me to save what I have on the D Drive CD RW disk back to my C drive on my cpu.

This is my computer, I am the administrator and have full permissions so I do not understand why I can't edit and save my own cd's.

Can someone give me the steps to resolve this? When I rt click on the cd drive or disk there is no tab that says "security" as suggested in some of the help menus.

I have Windows XP Home Version and it normally works well. I do not understand why I can't edit my own cd's and save back to them.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "you do not have permission to save in this directory,
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "you do not have permission to save in this directory,
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: CD burning
by Kees Bakker / April 29, 2008 7:42 PM PDT

A CD is not a hard disk and not a diskette, and you can't replace files on it, like you do on hard drive or a diskette. It's as simple as that.

The way to use a CD is to burn a bunch of files to it, and that's it. Anyway, that's it for a CD-R. With a CD-RW you can format it again and write another bunch of files to totally replace the first. In fact, it's a little bit more complicated if you consider multi-session disks, but I can't tell you about that because I've never used the feature. Better keep it simple.

For the burning you can use either the (somewhat unclear) native Windows XP way you used now or a burning program like the free one from www.cdburnerxp.se or the program (like Nero) that came with your burner.

Find a better way to store, organise and backup your files. Consider a CD as a backup medium only, and don't edit files on it. A backup is a snapshot you can't edit.

Kees

Collapse -
please help~I have the same computer problem
by mistydowg / September 2, 2009 5:55 AM PDT

Hello, I just read your cnet posting, and for the last few days I have been experiencing the same problems. I have a 3 year old HP computer with win XP #3 service pack. About a week ago, I was actually able to replace a file on the cd (my e drive) with an updated version ~ contrary to what the first person that responded to your posting stated. Now for some reason, I can't even save simple things that are new and that I am trying to place on a brand new cd. I get the same error code that you have gotten. I can't believe all the trouble that I am experiencing. Did you ever resolve your problem? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
jim

"you do not have permission to save in this directory,
by rehbrh2008 - 4/29/08 6:02 PM
I used "drag & drop" to move some of my documents to a cd rw disk on my D drive. It all transferred well, however, when I open the files and edit them it does not allow me to "save as" on that same cd on the D drive and says, "You do not have permission to save in this directory. See the administrator to obtain permission. Would you like to save in the My Documents folder instead?"

So it wants me to save what I have on the D Drive CD RW disk back to my C drive on my cpu.

This is my computer, I am the administrator and have full permissions so I do not understand why I can't edit and save my own cd's.

Can someone give me the steps to resolve this? When I rt click on the cd drive or disk there is no tab that says "security" as suggested in some of the help menus.

I have Windows XP Home Version and it normally works well. I do not understand why I can't edit my own cd's and save back to them.

ReplyPermalinkReport offensive post

Collapse -
Re: saving to CD
by Kees Bakker / September 2, 2009 6:03 AM PDT

This is not standard CD-R or even CD-RW functionality in Windows XP. Nothing wrong here. That's how it is designed. That's how it should work.
Feel free to understand it or not to understand it, just accept the fact.

See question 1.6 on http://www.cdrfaq.org/

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.