PC Hardware forum

General discussion

yet another graphics card question

by Ck87.JF / May 12, 2006 3:30 AM PDT

Hello... I currently have an NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX400 card, which has been good to me, but I was trying to play bzflag with max settings the other day, and it didn't work so well. It's possible I will want to play some other games in the future, though probably not one of the super-intensive games that have been released recently.
That, and I figure it's about time to upgrade my video card anyway, considering I've upgraded pretty much everything else.
I've heard from my teacher that in Linux, ATI video cards can cause problems, because of their drivers. A friend of mine told me to always go nVidia because ATI's drivers even in Windows suck. I'm not going to do much in Linux now, but I may after the summer, when hopefully I'll have enough cash to get broadband (which means I'll then be able to get online while in Linux).

WinXP pro SP2
ASUS K8N motherboard
Kingston 512MB RAM
AMD Sempron 1.6MHz 2600+ CPU
Aspire 500W PSU (which may go back)

In addition to asking what card you might suggest, I wanted to ask what a few things are: GPU (I know it's graphical processing unit, but what's the difference in GeForce, Radeon, etc), PixelPipelines, Memory interface & type, directX, openGL, D-SUB, SLI?
Sorry, but I'm not too knowledgeable about video cards.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: yet another graphics card question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: yet another graphics card question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My 10 cents
by hshagel08 / May 12, 2006 9:57 AM PDT

This is what I know
GeForce cards are made by Nvidia
Radeon's are made by Ati (Nvidia and ATI 'r the major companies)

Pixel pipelines, well I don't know exactly what they do, but the more you have the faster the card is usually.

Sli is in some PCI express video cards from nvidia. It's to use two graphics cards at the same time. Ati has the same thing but it's not as refined or as good as sli (it's called Crossfire)
directX and OpenGl are drivers. I'm not exactly sure what they do but you probably want a card that'll fully use directX 9.

Memory interface and type I don't know much about. Just theirs DDR then the faster DDR2 then the fastest DDR3. Soemtimes they write it like GDDR3 it means the same thing. I have no clue what D-suv is.
For older games and AGP I would recommend a GeForce 6200
I hope this helps

Collapse -
AGP
by Ck87.JF / May 12, 2006 11:10 AM PDT
In reply to: My 10 cents

I forgot to ask one other thing... what's the difference between AGP and AGP Pro?

Yeah, and I forgot to mention in my first post that yes, indeed... my motherboard has a 4x/8x AGP slot and no PCI express, so whatever video card that you might suggest, if you'd please keep it in the AGP range. Silly Thanks!
And thanks for your help, hshagel08. I mean, I knew that GeForce=nVidia and Radeon=ATI, but what I don't understand is what is the significance of the names? In the newegg power search, the GPU list contained a LOT of options, mainly containing the two previously mentioned, with lots of number combinations after them. I guess in a way, it's kind of like "Explorer" in Ford Explorer. The company is nVidia (or Ford), and the model is a GeForce (or Explorer).

Later, and thanks again for the help so far.

Collapse -
Geforce 6200
by Ck87.JF / May 12, 2006 11:16 AM PDT
In reply to: AGP

Sorry, I meant to add this to the last post, but I sent it without thinking.
I just did a little bit of looking on newegg for the Geforce 6200 GPU. And... I found that a lot of different manufacturers make it. So, what are some quality manufacturers of nVidia cards?

Thanks again! Happy

Collapse -
I got mine from BFG
by hshagel08 / May 12, 2006 2:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Geforce 6200

I don't have experiance with many manufactures but I've gotten 2 cards (an MX4000 and the 6200) from BFG and haven't gotten a problem from either.

Collapse -
u may need a card with more memory
by almostheaven83 / June 26, 2006 12:30 AM PDT
In reply to: I got mine from BFG

i have windows xp and an ati Sapphire Radeon 9200SE Atlantis with 256 graphics memoery i think that even in linuix uyou may need more grafics memory

Collapse -
I don't know much
by hshagel08 / May 12, 2006 2:14 PM PDT
In reply to: AGP

I haven't really heard of an AGP Pro graphics card. All I ever hear about is AGP 4x/8x or something like that. It seems to be very rare

Collapse -
AGP PRO
by philliprowland / June 25, 2006 4:08 PM PDT
In reply to: I don't know much

AGP Pro means 8X AGP.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.