Internet Service Providers forum

Yellow Triangle Confusion

by emp1128 / August 22, 2012 11:02 PM PDT

I have a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark attached to my wireless internet connection (I have DSL). I can access the internet and surf the web and even watch movies and such. However, this yellow triangle is a little concerning (maybe it isn't, but I don't know much...)

Ever since it appeared several months ago my internet connection has slowed down and some days (not every day, but maybe once a week or so) I need to power cycle the modem and router to get a connection going.

I'm not sure what the issue is, but my drivers are all up to date and I my computer is only a few months old with the latest technology and Windows 7. My modem and router are about 5 years old, maybe more maybe less. I can't quite recall when I got them.

Any suggestions. I have tried checking my network and LAN settings. My proxy settings,too. Would updating the modem or router help or is the issue with something else entirely?? Help pretty please! Happy

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Yellow Triangle Confusion
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Yellow Triangle Confusion
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Re: yellow triangle
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 22, 2012 11:10 PM PDT

Such a yellow triangle is strictly a driver issue. It's totally independent of your router and modem. Replacing those wouldn't make any difference for that. It's totally independent of network, LAN and proxy settings also. Changing those don't make any difference.

What are the details shown 'behind' that yellow triangle? I don't know if that's a left or a right click (and I can't check because I don't have any).

Collapse -
by emp1128 / August 22, 2012 11:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: yellow triangle

What driver should I check, update, try to fix? My wireless LAN card drivers are up to date. I just checked not an hour ago before posting. I don't know what other drivers I would need to look at.

As for the details shown behind the yellow triangle:

I don't know what other information you'd need, but let me know and I can provide it if I can. I'm not very familiar with computers and this kind of stuff, so please don't be offended by my lack of knowledge. :-\

Collapse -
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 22, 2012 11:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Drivers?

I assumed the yellow triangle was in the Device Manager. But this pic doesn't look like that. Which leads to the question: where is that yellow triangle?
On this picture I see nothing wrong.

But it's well known that using P2P-programs to download music or movies, can somewhat upset a router or modem so it becomes gradually slower. But you don't use your internet connection for that, do you?

Collapse -
More information
by emp1128 / August 22, 2012 11:59 PM PDT

If I click on the wireless icon at the bottom right of my screen my wireless connection has a yellow shield/triangle (refer to picture).

No, I do not download music or movies at all. The only programs I use are live streaming audio or movie (Spotify or Netflix).

Collapse -
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 23, 2012 12:20 AM PDT
In reply to: More information

Does apply?

It says the yellow triangle can mean that you have an unsecured connection. Better change that to WPA2 immediately. This might solve your other problems also, if they are caused by somebody piggybacking on your connection.

Collapse -
Still nothing...
by emp1128 / August 23, 2012 12:33 AM PDT

Still have the yellow triangle. Although I didn't enable WPA2 via my router. The link in the forum you provided didn't bring up any page.

Collapse -
Re: router
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 23, 2012 4:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Still nothing...

Not all routers have the same IP-address. Check your user manual for IP-address to use (usually only wired), username and password to use.

To find the IP-address (if you don't have it in the manual) you can also run ipconfig from the command prompt. It's the gateway address.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.