Computer Newbies

General discussion

Yellow Shield

by newie3 / June 16, 2005 4:04 AM PDT

XP Home Ed. There's a yellow shield "updating" that came on yesterday while I was picking up e-mail (OE).At the same time AVG warning dialogue box came onscreen saying "Virus detected!" I tried "Delete", "Heal",etc., each time being told the problem couldn't be dealt with in that situation. I thought the e-mail might contain a virus, called the sender and verified it was okay. I had AVG scan my PC - no virus. Every time I connect to internet, the yellow shield comes on. I've been trying to update my AVG. At the point where the connection is made to update, a "connection disconnected" is spelled out and the update can't be made. Please help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Yellow Shield
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Yellow Shield
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The yellow shield is probably MS
by TONI H / June 16, 2005 4:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Yellow Shield

trying to get you to click on it to install the updates it already downloaded rather than something to do with AVG. Do your MS updates first, reboot, and then right click your AVG program icon and choose "update" once you are on the net and see if that completes it this time.

TONI

Collapse -
Yellow shield
by newie3 / June 16, 2005 5:39 AM PDT

Thanks, Toni. I clicked on the shield but it didn't budge, couldn't get any dialogue box either left or right clicking. It finally started and downloaded and completed. After rebooting my PC, I tried updating the AVG. It took a few re-connects to finish downloading the updates, but finally succeeded. I ran the virus scan. Everything seems okay. Hopefully, it'll stay that way. Thanks again.

Collapse -
Newie, Try This...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 16, 2005 6:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Yellow shield

...just in case your Automatic Updates from Microsoft didnt' come through correctly. Open Internet Explorer, then click on "Tools", in the upper left, choose "Windows Updates". If you've never been to the Windows Update site before, you'll be asked to install an ActiveX control, Do It. Then click on the "Express Install" button and install all the Critical Updates that are found.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Newie, try this
by newie3 / June 16, 2005 8:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Newie, Try This...

Thanks, Grif. I've been receiving Windows "Automatic Updates". After this last problem, I decided to check the "advise before downloading" instead of the "Automatic". I felt there might be a conflict in programs -such as what seems to have happened (again) yesterday (and again this morning) when AVG clicked in at the same time as Windows Update. I'm not always on my PC at the Windows update programmed time. If I am, there's mail, etc. to do. If I had some control there would be better timing. What do you think? Should I re-select the Automatic Updates and shut down any programs I have going when MS Updates click in in the future? Thanks.

Collapse -
Newie, Personally, I Don't Use 'Automatic Updates'...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 16, 2005 10:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Newie, try this

I prefer to visit the Windows Update site and manually install them updates from there...or by downloading each update individually and installing them one at a time. I turn off the Automatic Updates from the Control Panel and therefore its not always "nagging" me to do something. But it's part of my job to stay current, so that may not be your personal choice.

That said, if you disable the "Automatic Updates", it's important to REMEMBER to frequently visit the Windows Update site so you can stay current. If you can't do that, then it's better to leave it enabled.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Grif, about the "Automatic Updates
by newie3 / June 16, 2005 2:47 PM PDT

I've selected and "Apply"d the "Turn Off Automatic Updates". Now I can't get rid of the red shield (Window Security Alerts)on my monitor. I'm conscientious about security so I will be checking often for updates. How do I get rid of the "alert?" Thanks again! :o)

Collapse -
Newie, Try This...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 17, 2005 1:44 AM PDT

Open the Control Panel, double click on the "Security Center" icon. When that loads, looking on the left side of the window, click on the "Change the way Security Center alerts me". When that loads, UNCHECK ALL of the boxes, then click on OK.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Grif, re "try this"
by newie3 / June 17, 2005 2:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Newie, Try This...

I've done it and the shield is gone! Thank you. Good weekend to you.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Newie, Good Job & Glad We Could Help !
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 17, 2005 4:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Grif, re "try this"
Collapse -
yellow shield
by baravind / March 23, 2009 6:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Yellow Shield

Just been reading the blog..regarding yellow shield. I have one with black slanting stripes, says system security, suggesting there is 38 virus+worms+spyware in my PC. When I click on this system security options it prompts me to buy software protection (no specific name of this mind)!! I ran AVAST antivirus and it found two virus which I removed. But this 'system security' still start up each time I surf... Any ideas anyone please

Collapse -
Different Think Entirely. Your Problem Is Malware
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 23, 2009 7:47 AM PDT
In reply to: yellow shield

Please try the steps below:

On a friend or family member's computer, download the Malwarebytes installer and update files from the links below, copy them to a CD or flash drive, then transfer the files to the problem machine and use them. If you can't start the computer into "normal" windows, try installing, updating, and running the scans AFTER the computer is started into Safe Mode.. I use the sites below to download the installer file and the manual updater:

Once downloaded and before transferring them to the problem machine, rename the program installer "mbam-setup.exe" file to something else like "Gogetum.exe", then copy the installer file and the update file to a CD or flash drive.. Transfer the file to the problem machine, then install the "Gogetum.exe" file, then run the update to get the program current.. After that, run a full system scan and delete anything it finds.

Malwarebytes Installer Download Link (Clicking on the links below will immediately start the download dialogue window.)
http://www.besttechie.net/tools/mbam-setup.exe

Malwarebytes Manual Updater link
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam/database/mbam-rules.exe

Next, download the SuperAntispyware program and the manual updater from the links below. After running the Malwarebytes tool above, if you still can't download and install it directly from the problem machine, download it on a friend or family member's computer as well. After installing and updating SuperAntispyware, run another full system scan and delete everything it finds as well. As before, you may need to rename the installer file to get the program to install.:

SuperAntispyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

SuperAntispyware Manual Updater
http://www.superantispyware.com/definitions.html

In a few situations, in order for the program to run, it was also necessary to rename the main "mbam.exe" file also after installing it.. It resides in the C:\Programs Files\Malwarebytes Antimalware folder.

Since you've posted your question in a topic which has little to do with your issue, if the steps above don't fix the problem, please start a new post at the top of the Newbies forum by clicking on the "Create a new thread" button. You'll need to provide a lot more information such as operating system, model and make of the computers, etc.

Hope this helps and let us know how it goes..

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.