Samsung forum

General discussion

Yahoo! Widgets on the 2009 TVs

by mattc_uk / May 14, 2009 10:02 PM PDT

It's great to see this kind of technology finally getting into TVs! I'm looking at which TV to buy and I've a few questions about the widgets;

1) Is there going to be a generic RSS reader widget? This would be invaluable for monitoring websites that don't have a specific widget. If we have a generic RSS reader, will there be a web-based interface where I can set up my TV's widgets? It'd be a real pain to have to type in some of the really long URLs for RSS feeds via the TV remote!

2) With the video TV widget (e.g. CBS), will they work in non-US countries? Or do we get alternatives we can watch?

3) What video format do the TV station widgets use? Are you playing Flash video? Or is it MP4 behind the scenes?

4) Are there any plans to add BBC iPlayer support, because in the UK this would be awesome!

5) What other widgets are in the pipeline?

6) Is it easy for developers to publish their own widgets for inclusion in the directory? Or is it quite strict and we'll only get a few official Yahoo widgets? I'd hate for this to be restricted to only a handful of widgets and have developers locked out from uploading their own creations.

= and on a different note...

7) Will you be keeping the firmware on the TV up to date? I.e. improving the number of video formats that the TV can play from an attached USB storage device? Devices like the WDTV and Popcorn Hour have regular firmware updates to improve the range of video formats they support, are you committed to doing the same?

Thanks in advance,

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Yahoo! Widgets on the 2009 TVs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Yahoo! Widgets on the 2009 TVs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
the widgets issue
by flautash / May 17, 2009 3:34 AM PDT

+1 on this. please keep us up-to-date on this.

any answers, btw?

Collapse -
no response from Samsung?
by mattc_uk / May 19, 2009 8:42 PM PDT

I'm quite surprised there's no response from Samsung on this topic yet; I thought they'd be keen to let us know all about one of the key features in their 2009 lineup, especially since I'm a prospective customer.

Anyone from Samsung care to comment? Or is there very limited info on this feature??

Collapse -
Does Samsung ever really answer any questions here
by skyscanr / May 20, 2009 8:24 AM PDT

I am starting to think this board does not really have any answers. I could not even get them to give me panel specs.

Collapse -
additional question
by mattc_uk / May 26, 2009 6:46 PM PDT

I'm holding out hope that Samsung will reply to this thread & I have an additional question..

Cool Are the widgets used on Sony's XBR9 and Z-Series the same as the ones the Samsung uses? If Sony and Samsung are using the same widgets then this is quite promising because it's not just 1 manufacturer that is pushing this technology.

Since Samsung haven't bothered replying to this, maybe the Sony XBR9 is a better option [off to find the Sony forums...]

Collapse -
by malosn / May 28, 2009 11:09 AM PDT

1) Is there going to be a generic RSS reader widget?
Not yet but widgets are under developpement by lot of developpers and now one will be apple to tell you when a widget will be available.Keep updating your TV and all approved widgets by Yahoo-Samsung will be available.

2) With the video TV widget (e.g. CBS), will they work in non-US countries?
Apparently widgets are released according the erea in your profile.And fortuately you can change the erea in your profile.

Collapse -
approval process
by mattc_uk / May 28, 2009 5:09 PM PDT
In reply to: SOME ASWERS

@malosn; thanks for your reply! I'm a developer and would like to write my own widgets; however the SDK still isn't available Sad What's the approval process like? Having to have them approved is a bit of a barrier, especially if Samsung/Yahoo lose interest in the platform. What I'd like to see is a directory of approved widgets, and one containing everything.. at least then I can develop thing specifically for myself.

Collapse -
Will the widgets ever be integrated into the 2008 models
by dolfid1 / May 29, 2009 2:01 AM PDT

Like the LN52A750???

Collapse -
Unfortunately right now the Widgets suck.
by Matt832 / May 31, 2009 5:21 AM PDT

The proposed widgets were one of the reasons I bought my 40B650 set. Now a few months in I have to say I am pretty disappointed in the content. None, I repeat none of the good stuff that I read about is available. Do I really want or need Soduko? I don't think so.

Where is the Netflix? Where is the Showtime? How about CBS? All MIA. Until there is QUALITY content widgets are pretty much a gee-wiz type of joke. Albeit an expensive one.

Collapse -
Sony's widgets & streaming video
by mattc_uk / May 31, 2009 5:38 AM PDT

@Matt832 - The Yahoo TV Widgets website actively promotes Netflix, CBS etc. I'm amazed they're not available yet! I hear the new Sony's which use the widgets, but also have stacks of streaming web content, such as Revision 3's videos, Cranky Geeks and stuff like that.

I'm sure Samsung can do exactly the same thing, but from the (lack of) responses from them here maybe they're not really bothered about widgets going forward & are just using it as an advertising gimmick.

Collapse -
youtube widget available but...not working
by malosn / July 19, 2009 10:19 AM PDT

i tried again today and noticed that youtube widget is now available version 1.0.27. i installed it but it was not working... will keep you updated.

Collapse -
Yahoo widget rocks
by mattc_uk / July 19, 2009 6:23 PM PDT

Thanks Samsung; a useful, fully featured, widget! If you could choose the toggle to the HD version that'd be even better.. and maybe save off searches as favourites to save typing them in each time. Keep up the good work!!

Collapse -
now ok working
by malosn / July 23, 2009 11:27 AM PDT

i changed the country in the parameters from france to us and now it is ok.

ps:i m in dakar capitale of senegal in west africa

Collapse -
Thanxs for the youtube widget
by rfe.nld / July 20, 2009 3:17 AM PDT

Hi Samsung thanx you for the yahoo widget.
In the next version of it can can you make it posible to login on a youtub a count so that i can play my playlists

Collapse -
by BestBuy Tech / July 20, 2009 7:20 AM PDT

Please pass on a request for a "repeat play" on/off in the YouTube widget setup.. The Panasonic has it for there version of YouTube... The Samsung needs it as well... It is a complete pain without it, as it just continues to plays onto the next random video.. I sure hope this gets aded in.

Collapse -
A reply from the future
by JohnnyL / July 4, 2011 2:35 PM PDT

Here it is, fully 2 years after your intial post and there is still no Yahoo Netflix widget. kinda sucks doesn't it? Especially when you consider that Samsung TV's from 2010 can access Netflix through the apps that are available. Without Netflix yahoo widgets suck big time. The interface is too clunky and the process takes too long to be really usefull. Of couse it's because its not really a computer but a TV.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.