Computer Help forum

Question

Yahoo Toolbar vs ??

by Littlethunder / January 23, 2013 6:09 PM PST

If anyone knows me I have been on the internet for years and learned to trust certain websites, software and so forth.

Yahoo toolbar is one of my trusted friends, if you will. No matter what PC I use I know my bookmarks are all saved on the toolbar. This holds true when using Firefox and IE but Google Chrome does not handle it whatsoever..

So here is my question:

Is there another brand of toolbar like Yahoo's ?
Have I missed something along the way?

I know that each browser has a bookmark aspect but If you get a new system or your system crashes everything disappears.

I am always looking to try something new and different as long as its... free.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Yahoo Toolbar vs ??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Yahoo Toolbar vs ??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
No Toolbars For Me....Bookmarks/Favorites Can Be Saved
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 24, 2013 9:10 AM PST
In reply to: Yahoo Toolbar vs ??

First, many carry adware/spyware with them and in may cases, toolbars bog down the speed of your internet experience .. Next, since it's wise to save all important files/documents/music/pictures by frequently creating a backup of all those things, why not save those bookmarks or favorites in the "My Documents" folder or something similar.. It's easy to export and import them when moving to a new system or when your system crashes..

For example, in Internet Explorer, click on "File" in the upper left, choose "Import and Export", select "Export to a file", click "Next", then select "Favorites", click "Next", and make sure "Favorties" is highlighted, then click "Next". At the next window make sure the correct path is selected and the file name if "bookmark.htm". (Browse to the correct location if it's not already correct.) Next, select "Export" and follow the prompts to get it done. Your "Favorites" are now saved and ready for backing up when you're ready..

Other browsers have a similar process to save the bookmarks.. If you ever need to recover those bookmarks, follow the same process but "Import" the file..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Answer
No toolbars here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2013 9:46 AM PST
In reply to: Yahoo Toolbar vs ??

Call me a Luddite but if I found a toolbar on my PC I use a pry bar to remove it. The problems I've encountered with such have me running with few addons (such as AdBlock+ and WOT) but nothing else for the browser.

Even JAVA is gone.
Bob

Collapse -
Toolbars
by pebarefoot / January 25, 2013 9:36 AM PST
In reply to: No toolbars here.

I agree with R Profitt. Having been a fan of Chrome since Beta 1 I've learned to do just fine w/o them. I had been a Firfox fan but v3.5-6 got too bloated and slow. I do keep Firefox around just in case. Other than a few add-ons to increase security I keep my Chrome stripped down and fast.
As Grif Thomas mentioned, it is no problem saving your bookmarks to a file in My Docs.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.