Spyware, Viruses, & Security

Question

Yahoo real or not?

by Amos16 / March 7, 2013 2:46 AM PST

Yahoo (or someone pretending to be Yahoo) has been asking me, twice in the last few days, to "renew" my log-in details, including username and password, otherwise I might be "disconnected" Some of the messages contain faulty English. Now I never give these details unless absolutely sure of the sender. Does anyone know if this is a genuine request, or could you find out with the real Yahoo if it is? Thanks.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Yahoo real or not?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Yahoo real or not?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I would say not..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / March 7, 2013 5:41 AM PST
In reply to: Yahoo real or not?

I would (immediately) say it's not real, if the English is "faulty" as you say. I'm also taking into consideration what was posted yesterday in the News thread. You might benefit from reading it.

Yahoo Mail Accounts Have Been Getting Hacked for Months

More importantly, I would suggest reading "Received an unsolicited email asking for password or other personal information" and "Suspicious Activity" from Yahoo Account Help. They should help determine whether they are real or not.

I would recommend changing your password, even if you come to find it is legitimate. You have nothing to lose by making the change.

Best of luck..
Carol

Collapse -
Answer
Sounds Like Somebody's "Fishing".....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 7, 2013 11:46 AM PST

I've got a Yahoo account, and so do some of my customers.. None of us have seen such a request.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Fishing
by Amos16 / March 12, 2013 2:14 AM PDT

Tks Grif. Somebody or something seems to be interfering with my reply to Carol. I meant to say that I am well aware of the warnings regarding mail etc. But changing password may seem easy to somebody of her generation. Being in generation +2 my memory is not up to recording frequent changes, and then it would mean writing it down. Which might defeat the purpose of keeping it secret. So I am now in a quandary and will most likely stay there. The last time somebody tried this trick on me I just did not reply, nor did I open further mail from the same addressee. And nothing bad happened. So, keeping fingers crossed, I probably will do the same now. Unless there is a very red and very large warning from Carol and you. Thanks again - Amos.

Collapse -
"Not Replying" Sounds Good To Me Too ! Plus...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 12, 2013 4:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Fishing

....placing it on your SPAM list in your email client would be a good step toward preventing a re-occurrence.

Hope this helps.

Grifg

Collapse -
Answer
yahoo
by unc_ / March 10, 2013 12:44 PM PDT

this is not real ....if u are using what they consider a rare or illegal id it is a trick it is a window to a keylogger so they steal ur password

Collapse -
and who are u ?
by Amos16 / March 12, 2013 1:59 AM PDT
In reply to: yahoo

Hello unc__ Sorry but I know too little about you to consider following up on your post. If it is a definitive statement I would like to see your authority for making it. Because guessing as much as you imply has been the gist of my question. Thanks for replying anyway.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.