Computer Help forum

General discussion

Yahoo Mail Issue

by eddie11013 / May 24, 2008 7:03 AM PDT

Trying to help my brother on his computer. We both have a Yahoo mail account. They both say Yahoo Mail classic. But when I open the ?compose? area in my computer, the various icons - cut - copy - paste are visible and can be used. His, ?compose? area, does not show these. Also, for some strange reason, his ?cursor? ?blinks? at the extreme left margin, whereas on my computer the cursor blinks a couple of spaces to the left of the extreme left margin. When you open an email on ?my? computer, you can select ?printable view?. That option is not on his computer. Hmmm. I don?t understand. I don?t have a clue where to start. I ran anti stuff, AVG free, SuperAntiSpyWare, Ccleaner - also its registry cleaner, Spyware Blaster is installed and up to date, ran a defrag and also scandisk. We both have and use IE6 without issues. Haven?t had any ?nasties? in years.

His computer - Windows XP Home, SP2, all updates, eMachines T1105 desktop. On an unrelated point, just raised the memory to 512MB from 256.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/guidance. And, yes, we both know that you can simply use the ?right click menu?, or the copy / paste from up above, but that?s not the point.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Yahoo Mail Issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Yahoo Mail Issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
IE6 or Firefox?
by strickjh2005 / May 24, 2008 8:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Yahoo Mail Issue

If you are using IE6 try firefox and if you are using firefox try IE6. This looks like a simple security or content setting in your browser that went awry. Compare them from one computer to another and see if you can get it working again.

Collapse -
After logging in to ...
by Edward ODaniel / May 24, 2008 10:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Yahoo Mail Issue

the yahoo mail accounts click the OPTIONS link (far right of the page level with tabs for Mail - Contacts - Calandar - Notepad )

Now select the General Preferences and in the general preferences see who has their composing mode as Color and Graphics (it will be you) and who has it as Plain Text (it will be your brother).

Nothing to do with your browser or OS and everything to do with your account preferences configurations.

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks for replying, had already checked, both same
by eddie11013 / May 24, 2008 10:48 AM PDT
Collapse -
Hmmm, I don't understand - must be Yahoo Issue
by eddie11013 / May 24, 2008 12:05 PM PDT

I decided to log out of "my" yahoo account on "my" computer and log into my "brothers" account, on my computer. Well, everything changed, just like on "his" computer, but on "mine". Huh? I then created a new account, and the layout came out to be the same as my brothers. Sooo, I guess, they must have changed something. At the end, after I had created this new account, I remember seeing something to the effect that "they" were going to make it work on "my" computer.

I don't know. Maybe his computer isn't broken after all.

If anyone has any other idea's please let me know.

Collapse -
Eddie, 'Plain Text' Or 'Rich Text'?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 25, 2008 2:26 AM PDT

When you open the "Compose" screen, just above and to the right of the message body area, there is a link entitled "Plain Text" or "Rich Text".. If you see the "Plain Text" link, it means you're in "Rich Text" mode and you should then see all the icons.. Clicking on the "Plain Text" link will cause the message to switch to "Plain Text" and at that time, you will not see the icons.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
by eddie11013 / May 25, 2008 3:05 AM PDT

Actually I had already tried that, but just to clarify, when I open "my" account, it actually doesn't display the words, or "any words" for that matter - plain text or rich text - and I get "all" the Icons. When I opened my "brothers" account, it "DOES" display - plain text, and a few icons are missing, namely the aforementioned - cut - copy - & paste. Switching to 'rich' text, gets rid of all icons.
Thanks for replying MR.Thomas
Hope you have some more idea's.

Collapse -
Then Mine Is Like Your Brothers...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 25, 2008 3:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Hmmm

Apparently, you've got an older version that had copy and paste icons.. Mine doesn't have those icons either but since I never use them, it's not a problem.. (I prefer a RIGHT click copy/paste or Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V- not so many moves of the mouse.)

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Older version
by eddie11013 / May 25, 2008 4:11 AM PDT

Well I guess that's it. Wish there was a way to get that 'older' version. Must be tied somehow to original account. As previously stated, I opened a 'new' account and I got what my brother has. I didn't see anything that would tell me version number, etc. Most software has versions, but this is web mail on their servers. And, yes, he's doing the right click thing, but you get used to certain ways.

Final note, I have reformatted a couple of times, doing the new SP3 thing, and my Yahoo mail has always been there, and been the same. Interesting, huh!
Thanks again.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.