Computer Help forum

General discussion

Yahoo Mail Connection Refused

by LaFillette / November 29, 2005 12:20 AM PST

I am having trouble accessing yahoo mail. I get a "Connection refused" error message.

I know the server isn't down as this has been going on for some time now and also because I can access my mail from other computers. This problem appeared overnight with no change made to any settings. I have been reading forums and found other people have had similar problems but have been unable to find a solution. I am running Windows XP and Norton Anti virus and Internet Security and I use Internet Explorer.

I have tried the following:

Turning off the Windows Firewall
Turning off Norton Virus and Internet Security
Adding Yahoo Mail to the trusted sites.
Downloading other browsers. (Same problem with Firefox Mozilla)

Does anyone have any ideas for what I might be missing?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Yahoo Mail Connection Refused
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Yahoo Mail Connection Refused
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Have you tried System Restore?
by Coryphaeus / November 29, 2005 1:00 AM PST
Collapse -
Yahoo email Connection Refused
by LaFillette / November 29, 2005 1:46 AM PST

Well I don't want to have to do a system restore just for accessing one website. I am not having problems with any other sites as far as I can tell. I can get to the main Yahoo email page. It's only when I try to log in that I get the error message. So I'm thinking it must just be a setting somewhere for ports or secure sites or something.

But thank you for the suggestion

Collapse -
Lafillete, PLease Try This...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 29, 2005 3:09 AM PST

You may be having a problem with your Java and Script engine..

Click on the link to Sun's Java below, then click on the "Download JRE 5.0 Update 5" download link that is in the "JRE 5.0 Update 5 includes the JVM technology" section. Download the full "Windows Offline Installation" file to your desktop,(about 15 MB), scan it with your antivirus (just to be sure it's clean), then install Java 1.5 from the installer.

AFter that, download and install the updated Script engine from the appropriate link below:

Windows Script 5.6 for Windows 2000 and XP

At the link above, you'll need to validate your version of XP which isn't a problem as long as its legal.

After everything is installed, then open the Control Panel, double click on the "Internet Options" icon, then click on the "Advanced" tab. When that loads, scroll down to the "Java(Sun)" section and make sure there is a CHECK mark next to: "Use Java,....". Click on Apply. Then scroll to the "Multimedia" section and place a CHECK mark in the "Play Sounds In Web Pages", "Play videos in Web Pages", & "Show pictures" box and UNCHECK the box next to "Show download Placeholders:", then click on Apply, then Ok.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Problem with logging into Yahoo Mail and other secure sites
by LaFillette / December 2, 2005 2:12 AM PST

Hi there Grif,

First of all thank you for such detailed intructions. They were easy to follow. However it did not work. I am still receiving the same error messages from any secure sites. With IE I get a ''Page cannot be displayed...'' and with Mozilla I get ''Connection refused when attempting to contact..''

Any other suggestions you or anyone else might have to help me out would be greatly appreciated. I am stumped on this....Just can't figure out what the problem is. I have tried everything I can think of.

Thanks again...

Collapse -
Secure Site Connection Issue Resolved
by LaFillette / December 2, 2005 3:23 AM PST

Thanks for everyone's input. But I discovered the problem finally. It appeared that Norton was corrupted and the firewall was blocking access to secure sites even though I had disabled it. A full uninstall and the problem went away.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) LaFillete, Good Job & Thanks For Posting Back
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 2, 2005 3:33 AM PST
Collapse -
no operating system issue
by cristianromania / January 3, 2014 9:50 PM PST

Hy all,

I am using linux mint, i have no firewall running and no antivirus.
I left my computer open with the yahoo mail session open.
I think that is causing my problem, and that's why I encountered the same error as you.
I am sure that this is not an Operating System or a browser issue since all websites are working well and I cannot have some kind of virus in linux.
Did everyone had the same issue after letting yahoo mail session open? (I left it open for about 2 hours because I left home).
I do not think a fresh install of the OS will do the job, and I also think it is stupid to do this just for Yahoo mail.
I am waiting a fix from yahoo because i saw that lately they have interface problems, and I think this is just a screwed security feature of the servers.
This is another reason that I will surely use just my Google mail account if they do not fix it.
I will try to log in o different servers, maybe wireshark captures to see if i find if I find the issue, and come back and post it.
I will also try log in with tor to have other ip address.

Collapse -
maybe this works
by cristianromania / January 3, 2014 9:57 PM PST

Hy all,

I am nut sure what is the main issue but I think I found a fix.
I did a nslookup for "" and the servers for my country were :

I put the wrote the ip in the browser and i could log in.
Try this and tell us if that worked also for you, and maybe someone will give tell us what is the exact problem and maybe we will find a fix.

Collapse -
This old post is 2958 days old and is now closed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2014 2:24 AM PST

Please start a new discussion with full details if it is needed.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.